Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Rear end grinding

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Default Rear end grinding

My rear end on my car sounds like its griding. it sounds like metal on metal when i am getting the car to start rolling in first gear. I dunno if its my differential or its my rear bearings. It has been happening scince the day i have gotten the car.

keith

Old 05-18-2006, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rear end grinding

Well, pretty certain its either the wheel bearings, or rearend carrier bearings, pinion bearings. Also, check brake pads, silly I know, but a check wouldn't hurt.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:29 AM

if it is the gears it will sound like hell all the time,take cover off and inspect for were,chips broken parts,[]

Old 05-25-2006, 11:57 PM

I have a 72 coupe that was making strange noises in the rearend. After 5 rounds of trouble-shooting, it turned out to be a retainer spring in the emergency brake shoes had broken loose and became weddged inside the inner part of the rotor. It made noises that were horrible and sounded like the whole rearend was coming out of the car. This was new to me, I am new with the old concept of shoe emergency brakes and disc brakes on the same rotor.

Hope that this will help solve the mistery.
Jim
72 Coupe

Old 05-29-2006, 11:40 PM

hey dirty, i have a 71 and it does the same thing, it sounds like hell when i let off the brake and just let the car roll, as soon as i get going it stops, it also sounded really bad when i went around a corner at slow speeds, so i jacked up the rearend put jack stands under it and put it in gear......no noise, i think it might be my universal joints. the other thing i did (as i was experimenting) was spray a lubricant in evrything i could get too in the rear, it doesnt make the noise now when i turn.......

Old 08-04-2006, 01:04 AM

jack up rear use stands ,try moving wheels top to bottom ,if there loose you can bet the trailing arms and wheel bearings are history.at about 50 or 60 thousand they start to make noise good luck let us know tony

Old 08-06-2006, 09:17 PM

rydin dirrrrrrrrrty,
your most likely culprit is either the u-joints on your half-shafts OR the dreaded spindle 'bout to get spun off!!!
be VERY careful when driving b/c if it is indeed the spindle, the tire, brakes, rotors, etc.....will seperate from the half shaft, beating the undercarrige all to pieces...............get that girl on some jack stands ASAP, and check her out......hopefully its just some worn rotors!!

Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 PM

rydin dirrrrrrrrrty,
your most likely culprit is either the u-joints on your half-shafts OR the dreaded spindle 'bout to get spun off!!!
be VERY careful when driving b/c if it is indeed the spindle, the tire, brakes, rotors, etc.....will seperate from the half shaft, beating the undercarrige all to pieces...............get that girl on some jack stands ASAP, and check her out......hopefully its just some worn rotors!!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 AM

i have the same noise on my 71 replaced the u-joints on the half shafts ans i can still feel alittle grinding when backing up. i have only had my vette for three months ( my frist one ) i am not a car mechanic but i learn quick so bear with me please. are the spindles what thebearings ride on u get to the bearings with the half shafts off by removing the nut and pin i saw. will the whole thing come apart so i can inspect . i only feel the fricton when i'm backing up no real noise any help please thanks muchhttp://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bigchiefross@sbcglobal.net/my_photos

Old 08-08-2006, 01:03 AM

chiefross,
no sir..........i wish it were that easy, its a machining process, in other words you'll need a specialized tool.............its basically a puller specially equipped to grasp the spindle and push against your trailing arm.............DONT try to dissasemble til your ready to replace.....before the spindle gives way, you'll notice some front to back play in the wheel when driving at slow speed........

Quick Reply: Rear end grinding