Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Sign-Up for The "Coast to Coast 'Vette Forums Relay" (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/sign-up-%22coast-coast-vette-forums-relay%22-8396/)

Texas Jim 12-10-2007 06:46 PM

Sign-Up for The "Coast to Coast 'Vette Forums Relay"

If you want "in" on the "Coast to Coast 'Vette Forums.com Relay," list: 1.your user name, 2. town/city and state and 3. whether the group that you'll be linking up with could meet at your house either to start off or end up that leg of the relay. 4. Any ideas you have for anything to do with the relay.***You "do not" have to participate in the relay itself in order to post ideas or suggestions. Please feel free.
Meeting at your house doesn't mean you having to feed or put anyone up for the night, but only a link-up spot to get joined up or part at the end of a leg and take some photos, etc. where the group wouldn't get hastled by the cops for hanging out in any way insome public area. Any extras would beup tothe site member. We won't know for awhile, until all participant's names are in, who or how many will be in each group. I'm hoping plenty!
We have a long time to plan as, like I said, we'd make this happen sometimeat the end of the summer, 2008. We'll work this thing so it will work as well as possible for everyone involved.We, as a group, will be as flexible as possible as I know that everyone wants as many as possible to participate.
And like I mentioned before, any and all ideas of any kind are welcome and will be put in the mixfor sure. With all the time we have to plan, and with everyone participating, also in the way of ideas, this should be a great event. And even if you don't participate in the relaywith your "Vette,"PLEASE" participate with ideas.This is"OUR" event.

blueshark 12-10-2007 07:19 PM

RE: Sign-Up for The "Coast to Coast 'Vette Forums Relay"

I'm in. Ilive in Dickson TN. Big yard to park all the vettes. Good end point or starting point. Dickson is in midddle Tn., 30 min west of Nashville. 3 hours from either the Great Smokie Mountains or the Mighty Mississippi River and Memphis.....amd...... only a little over 2 hours from the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. Y'all Comeoooon down. Cheers

C3 Starship 12-10-2007 08:18 PM

O. K., I'm in. :)
Reno, Nevada. ( Actually Cold Springs, about 20 miles North of Reno, on U.S. 395 ) Not much room at my place, but we have a park very near by that would be good for meeting up. I would be glad to take the batton from those comming from the East, and take it on Westward. ( Although I am further West than those in So. Calif. :D)

We have a gathering in August called "Hot Agust Nights". Over 5,000 Rods, Customs, and Classics from around theU.S. attend this gathering. It may be possible fora Relay "meet and great" at that time.( just a thought :eek:)

pg 12-10-2007 08:24 PM

I live in Mount Holly NC, thats just west of Charlotte, (and Charlotte was also my X-Wifes name)
So blueshark how far apart are we?
Could this be a leg?

If we could get 8 cars here, the Mayor will close Main Street a have a parade! PG.

blueshark 12-10-2007 08:35 PM

PG, About 4.5-5 hours? Charlotte is about 1.5 hours from the state line right?

dar322 12-10-2007 08:36 PM

I'm in the NW Chicago suburbs. Freezing rain coming in tonight. Not sure anybody would want to come around here in August, too muchcongestion. But if my car is road worthy by then, I'm up to heading out. Say maybe head towardEffingham where Mid America Motorworks resides. Or maybe into Indiana around Nashville and Brown County is very scenic. I haven't been following this much but what's the deal? Meeting up and traveling together? Maybe Texas Jim canbring his tools just in case I need his help. :D

pg 12-10-2007 09:09 PM

Take tools!

Take tools! You got that right! Learned that the hard way. Got 100 miles away when a fan belt broke.
Carry extra belts, hoses and tools now. PG.

pg 12-10-2007 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Just did a map quest, Mount Holly to Dickson is 450 miles at 60 mph thats 7.5 hours. Yes I'm about 2 hours from the nc.tn border. If I take 74W it's a little quicker.
It was 80* and sunny here today, and dar322 had freezing rain, that won't work. This could work if we can all be in the area. PG>

[IMG]local://upfiles/2883/535DD70BC3534A13A9B7EEB1259B7651.jpg[/IMG]

78buckshot 12-11-2007 04:41 PM

I'm in a little mid-west college town just west of the Motor-City, probably nobody but watwheel has heard of the MICHIGAN WOLVERINES, anyway it's not exactly close to the central part of the country but maybe we could join several smaller links and strengthen the chain.

DeeVeeEight 12-11-2007 05:18 PM

OK - Count me in too. Camden County,New Jersey, just 10 minutes east of Philadelphia, Pa or 2 hours south of NYC. The house is big enough for a guest or two, as long as you like dogs!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

blueshark 12-11-2007 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: pg

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Just did a map quest, Mount Holly to Dickson is 450 miles at 60 mph thats 7.5 hours. Yes I'm about 2 hours from the nc.tn border. If I take 74W it's a little quicker.
It was 80* and sunny here today, and dar322 had freezing rain, that won't work. This could work if we can all be in the area. PG>

[IMG]local://upfiles/2883/535DD70BC3534A13A9B7EEB1259B7651.jpg[/IMG]

60mph??? if you do 60 on I40 you'll get run over. lunitics average around 85mph on I 40 around here. thats about 5.29 hours no need to stop for gaswith 32 mpg in the vette. I try to stay around 75-80 tops. around 6 hours. Comeon over for some fresh BBQ'd Venison.

we were 76* today and are supposed to get snow thursday. What a Country!

I think I've heard of the Mchigan Wolverines, Aren't they black and gold?

My house is open too....just don't tease the monkeys! LOL!

C3 Starship 12-11-2007 06:03 PM

O.K. Texas, you writin' all this down? :D
Ya think we ought to let the C1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 owners in on this too? :eek:
I wouldn't want them to feel left out, just 'cause they don't own a C3. ;)

Myol' H. S. has the Wolverines. So ya, I've heard of the Mich. Wolverines. Our colors were Red and White.

jwerkjr 12-11-2007 06:14 PM

I'm interested as well. I live in central Long Island, NY - Not too many places in the country East of me unless they come from New England. Haven't heard of anybody on LI interested, but I'd be happy to host anyone coming from further east on the Island. I live on a big cul de sac and would love to have a bunch of vettes representing LI fill it and make the run to Jersey.

watwheel 12-12-2007 05:05 AM

I would definately be interested in joining ifI can get the time off from work. I'm with Buckshot about joining up at some point. Our Wolverines are Maize & Blue and headed for disaster against Florida on New Years Day.

Texas Jim 12-12-2007 09:22 AM

So far, so good. I'll be posting, at the end of this coming weekend (Dec. 16th.), on this topic, the people who are "IN" on the relay so far. I'll also have some kind of order and groups. Thanks for getting together with each other and making it easier to group peepz together.

C3, If we got all the other C's in on this, it would be quite a big run. Itreally would be cool if we were to get many many 'Vettes in on this relay as each leg would be a super run, the more I think about it, the more exciting it is to me,but I'd be concerned about organizing something that big as it could turn out to be quite a task, even with a bunch of us working together on it. Do you think we should take a vote on it? Let me know "all of"what you think about it. And last but NOT LEAST, thanks much for the input. This is exactly what I was referring to.

C3 Starship 12-12-2007 08:00 PM

It's not so much that there would be so many more vettes in any one leg, I see a "spider web" effect and many strands reaching across the country. I'd like to see as many members involved as posible, reguardless of their year of Vette. Think about it....
A Southern route, a Northern route, a middle route, North to South, South to West, East to North,.....get my drift? I kinda see an East to West in general. Follow the Sun! ;)( just thinkin' out load here.... :eek:)
True, it will be quite a task, but if we all work on it together, we can pull it off. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Texas Jim 12-13-2007 09:06 AM

C3, The more I think about it, the better it sounds. I think that it would work "itself" out if we let it. #1. What's the best way to go about advertisingthe "Relay"to the other Cs? Since we do want the biggest turn-out possible...
#2. Question for you? Would we, after figuring out the geographical borders for each of the groups, beable to post "each geographical group's sign-up individually/separately"each being a separate subject,somewhere on this forum? What I mean is, I don't want to break any rules, *use too much space, or piss-off the site bosses, orhowever you'd say it...I think you get what I mean.It obviously couldn't and wouldn't bein the C3 area. (I'll have to look at the other areas on thesite tosee where this would be correctly posted.)
If the people signed up into their respective (geographical)groups, it's quite possible that the groups could work out the meeting points/parting points on their own. (together, as a group) Then, a couple of us could pick it up from there to set dates/times for each group to make their move. How does this sound? And do you or does anyone else have anything to add or suggest?

***Nine (9) of us in on the relay so far.

Texas Jim 12-13-2007 09:15 AM

RE: Take tools!

Yes, Tools will be with me, clean and organized and I'll be personally ready to help/turn wrenches as needed with/for anyone. No problem.

Texas Jim 12-13-2007 10:13 AM

...Continued from my "last" (edited) post...
C3 Starship: Let's advertise the "Relay" in each of the "C" areas. (C1 &C2, C4, C5, C6) After a certain date (to be determined), we'll gather all the namesin/from each of the groups and set dates and timesfor movement in the relay.
While the sign-up in each of the "C" groups is going on, we'll have to figure out a way to continue to "keep it fresh" so that it doesn't become a stale or old topic.

TO ALL SITE MEMBERS: Any ideas for "keeping it fresh" while the sign-up is going on would be appreciated. I feel that it's going to take everyone to make (atleast) this part of it work and be most effective. Thanks.

watwheel 12-13-2007 11:18 AM

Hey guys,
Just brainstorming here:

Maybe talk to the people in marketing at Chevrolet to see if they would have any interest in participating, sponsoring, .........(maybe individual dealerships in the areas we traverse)

Try to combine this with some local shows along the way with our Corvette Forums.Com representative in that area leading the way in each show.....(Maybe the ride of the month winner or as the route is established, have the group in that leg of travel vote on a rep)

As far as keeping it fresh we should just keep soliciting everyone for any ideas, routes or showsin their areas, electing reps, etc..... and develop it as we go allowing members to vote on all the options.

Food for thought anyway

Texas Jim 12-13-2007 03:54 PM

Yes, any shows in the areas at the times the different groups will be traveling through would be perfect. Maybe if we have some good numbers, the shows would have a spot for us to park if we attended. It would depend on researching the shows as to where, when and who's running them. Let's keep an eye out for Car Shows in general for July and August, 2008. It actually may take even (possibly alot) longer to zig across the country. All depends on the numbers.
I'm not familiar with the sponsoring, something I don't know much about. Do you know how to look into that?
Electing a rep for different things "would" keep it fresh, as involvment always sparks interest andparticipation.
Please, if anyone reading these posts knows about the ideas suggested, your input would be greatly appreciated.
watwheel, thanks for the ideas, they're good ones and this is what we need to make this relay worth anything.
I have the running ideas and participants-so-far written down and will keep track as we go along. No ideas left out.

blueshark 12-13-2007 08:10 PM

We can divide it up by 6, 8 or 10(with stops)hour legs to each point from start to finish. that would give members time to meet, great, eat and sleep before they go on or home early the next morning. Maybe each leg could incorporate Interstate and local scenic routs, with local points of interest along the way. There's lots of nice twisty scenic roads around here.

Personally, I'm going totry, good Lord willing, to go as far as I can. At least to Reno. So get ready for company Dave.:D:D:D

C3 Starship 12-13-2007 08:54 PM

The light's on Bro. :)
I'll show ya my playground. ;)

Ric 12-20-2007 03:02 PM

put me down for the coast to coast relay Ohio. 60 miles north of Columbus 80 miles south of Cleavland. ( Lexington Ohio) looking forward to meeting some of the corvette Forums members.
Thanks all Ric W.

Texas Jim 12-21-2007 01:31 PM

Thanks for the get-back. You're "IN" Ric. There's plenty of time to plan and get ready. Please stay current on checking up on the progress we make as time goes on. And any ideas that you have, big or small, please drop them into the "brainstorm" for the relay. Thanks again.

Texas Jim 12-21-2007 07:31 PM

Posted the "Relay Invite" on the other areas (1&2, 4,5 & 6) of the site. If we get big numbers in each leg, this will be one heck of an event, as with big numbers, we can cover more ground inturn driving more scenic routes (ie; Dragon's Tail) and more areas of each state. We need to pull as many 'Vettes out of as many areas as we can.

95C4yourself 01-14-2008 09:10 AM

:)

95C4yourself 01-14-2008 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: watwheel

Hey guys,
Just brainstorming here:

Maybe talk to the people in marketing at Chevrolet to see if they would have any interest in participating, sponsoring, .........(maybe individual dealerships in the areas we traverse)

Try to combine this with some local shows along the way with our Corvette Forums.Com representative in that area leading the way in each show.....(Maybe the ride of the month winner or as the route is established, have the group in that leg of travel vote on a rep)

As far as keeping it fresh we should just keep soliciting everyone for any ideas, routes or showsin their areas, electing reps, etc..... and develop it as we go allowing members to vote on all the options.

Food for thought anyway

Sorry about previous post, forgot to quote on this, here in Waco,Tx.
We have a local dealership that holds a "Corvette Day" towards the end of the summer, that would be a great day to meet up with everyone, we also have car shows every month during the summer. The corvettes used to rule but lately the dodge's have been showing some force. Sure would be nice to throw them a sneak attack with everyone meeting here. Just an idea.

Texas Jim 01-18-2008 07:27 PM

yourself,
I'm just down the road in Killeen. I haven't met up with anyone as close by as you, but will be on the lookout.When the weather starts to break, I'll get some flyers out on Ft. Hood. Afew GIs I've seen riding have some 'Vettes and some nice muscle cars, old and new. I've only been back here for three months but will get back into things soon.Was here for 21 years prior to leaving for 6 years in 2002. Tony's Auto Tech here in Killeen does 'Vette body work and Tony is an old long time friend of mine. He used to do all of Jim Garvin's drag 'Vettes. (early 60s) I'll ask him who's (still) around, and about anyone new. (A pic of my 'Vette is in the "Where are you" topic) I'll be intouch.

riley 02-22-2008 01:58 PM

I'm interested. I'd like to do a leg (or two, depending on the dates and routes). I live in north-central Indiana right off of US30. I also have a great place for a start/end point.

C3 Starship 02-22-2008 10:04 PM

" (A pic of my 'Vette is in the "Where are you" topic)"

Alright Texas!,....*taps foot*.......we dooo have a Gallery, where you can post up a pic or two...........;)

Texas Jim 02-23-2008 01:34 AM

riley,
Thanks for your interest, you're in. I need to "RE" things over pretty quickly and pencil in the new interested members.

C3,
LOL!!! Ok. I have been thinking about posting a pic or two, especially since that one pic is prior to my getting black wall tires, which look better as it makes the car look more plain.
Check this out, I replaced a front marker bulb today that went out two days ago. My 'Vette was painted ten years ago last month, January, '98,I have the paperwork(The paint is in really good shape by the way. It's always been garaged, and prior to me owning it, it wasn't driven very much.) Theburnt out bulb that I removed, has silver over-spray on it. I knew that the lenses and grill were removed when the car was painted, and the bulb must have been hanging there in the socket and not masked. Is that some service from a bulb, or what? I was trippin' when I saw this.