Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Starter or battery or both?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Default Starter or battery or both?

I've been having a few issues with starting the car. I currently run premium (will be switching back to unleaded plus next fill-up) and lately the car has had one heck of a time turning over. My battery is an autolite platinum (don't really like these), and I'm wondering if I need to just get a battery with more cranking amps or if I need to get a new starter. Basically what happens is when I first turn on the car it turns over perfectly and then immedietly shuts down. I believe this is due to a bit of excess gas inside. Then when I try to turn it over again, it makes the revving sound and normally eventually turns over. I'm just not sure what it is and don't want to spend a ton of $ buying one part if I really need the other.

-Rick

Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned
Default RE: Starter or battery or both?

Need More information - Engine type, Fuel delivery system (carbureted or fuel injected).

With what I am hearing, if I understand you correctly, it sounds like the automatic choke on the carburetor is not functioning properly.

If what you are trying to describe is truly electrical, then place a volt-meter across your battery terminals with the engine off. You should read between 11.5 and 13 volts. Anything less than 11.5 volts indicates a bad or discharged battery
With the engine running, you should see between 12.5 and 14 volts. This will indicate that the alternator is charging the battery. If you do not see an increase in voltage when the engine is runnung (12.5to 14 volts) then it is pretty safe to assume that your alternator is not charging the battery and the alternator needs replacing.

From what you are describing, I do not think that the issue is electrical. It sounds like it is fuel related.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:49 PM

I have a carbureted car. Chevy 350. (350 short block that was built up with a summit racing top end kit)

If it is the automatic choke, how do I fix the problem?

Old 11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

There is a big metal flapper valve on top of two of the four barrels on your carburetor. This is the choke valve. It makes the air/fuel ratio rich for cold weather starts. The Choke valve is supposed to be connected to a spring that is coiled up on itself like a snake. The spring, often called a bi-metallic spring, coils up tighter on itself when cold and expands as it warms up. This action of the spring in turn operates the choke valve. When the engine is cold the automatic choke valve closes (you have to depress the gas pedal slightly to let the choke set itself when cold). When the engine warms up the choke valve opens. This choke valve is a must if you plan to drive your car in cold weather. I'll see if I can't find some pictures.
Do you know what brand of carburetor you have?

Lee

Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Here is a picture of my Holley Carburetor. You can see the choke valve (closed) on top. The round black thing on the side of the carburetor has the bi-metallic spring inside of it. Mine is an electric choke, so it has a wire going to it that runs current through the spring and warms it electrically. Many older Corvettes have a metal rod that connects the choke valve to a spring that is located under a metal cap on the intake manifold. If the Choke spring is old it may be worn out and need to be replaced, or it may just need to be loosened and adjusted from a summer to a winter setting. Once the choke is properly adjusted, cold starting will be much easier. Carbureted cars are a lot more finicky than fuel injected computer controlled cars when it comes to cold starting.

Name:  100_1875.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  82.8 KB

Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

"Basically what happens is when I first turn on the car it turns over perfectly and then immedietly shuts down. I believe this is due to a bit of excess gas inside. Then when I try to turn it over again, it makes the revving sound and normally eventually turns over. "

By "turning over", do you mean cranking, or running?

".....it turns over perfectly and then immedietly shuts down"

This is the phrase that is confusing me.
It sounds like you're saying the starter just stops, but I can also read it as the engine starts and then just stops.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
pg

Hi Rickcusaf, you have one of two types of chokes,
One type has a spring with a square cover over it, and it is screwed to the manifold. to adjust this type, open the throttle a little, push the choke closed and bend the rod to the correct length.

The other kind is round and on the right side of the carb, to adjust this type you loosen three screws and turn it towards Rich. Againyou must open the throttle first, and both adjustments must be done on a cold motor.

You said the car makes a revving sound, is the starter just turning but not the motor? If so than check the starter solenoid.
Hope that helps, PG.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

"Basically what happens is when I first turn on the car it turns over perfectly and then immedietly shuts down. I believe this is due to a bit of excess gas inside. Then when I try to turn it over again, it makes the revving sound and normally eventually turns over. "

By "turning over", do you mean cranking, or running?

".....it turns over perfectly and then immedietly shuts down"

This is the phrase that is confusing me.
It sounds like you're saying the starter just stops, but I can also read it as the engine starts and then just stops.
I agree. Your description of the problem is a bit confusing, plus we are addicted to pictures on these forums, so get yer digital camera fired up!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 PM

I'll see what I can do about pictures. I have an 830cfm edelbrock carb.

When I first start the car the engine starts and then just stops.(This is the one I meant)

And it sounds like the starter is engaging, but the gas isn't sparking. (My guess is that if it is the choke valve it's not letting enough air in to ignite the gas)

Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Try pressing the gas pedal slowly to the floor and then releasing it just once before you start the car. If it starts and dies like usual, then try pressing the gas 2 times to the floor and releasing it and starting the car. tell us what happens. This is definitely a choke/fuel related cold start issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter or battery or both?