Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Stingray '75 Trans. and brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Default Stingray '75 Trans. and brake

Hi Guys,

I've just got it , the problem I found water with trans. oil !!! I replaced the oil and filter and the oil cooler and the radiator to make sure I don't have the leak again and I cleaned the pipes but someone told me the trans will not be the same and will need to be repaired sooner or later , is that true ? , also the brake is not working properly I think .When I try to stop the carthe pedal goes with my leg until it sticks to theendand hardly stop the car , where do you think the problem ?

Regards&thank you in advance .

Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stingray '75 Trans. and brake

The trans situation, depends on how long ya been pumpin' water through it.
Check your brake fluid level.
Possible master cyl needs a rebuild.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Corvette Forum.

Have you checked your calipers for leaks? If they're tight and the master cylinder is full, then I agree with C3.

WRT the tranny, I'm guessing thatthe anti-freeze may have damaged the clutch packs. Probably depends on how long the coolant was present.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:27 AM

Check the inside of the tires and wheels for wetness. The fluid will leak out of the caliper (one of the four)onto the inside of the wheel and tire if the caliper is leaking. If there's no sign of fluid on the inside of the tires and wheels, then as was said twice prior, the master cylinder is shot. ***Although, it is the only one I've ever seen, but I had a master cylinder leaking fluid at the rear awhile back. Just something to check for if the inside of the wheels aren't wet. Good Luck.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

One other concern....
Seems to me that water may still be trapped in your torque converter. Water being heavier, will settle at the bottom of the converter. Just draining the trans pan, won't get all the water out.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM

Very true, C3, w/o removing the converter and draining it, it'll be in there forever, only diluting the mixture alittle more each time the pan fluid is changed. Why in the heck don't they put drain plugs in all converters. To me, even a trans. fluid change (pan only) is only half-*** doing it.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanx for therespond guys I checked the converter its ok now . I cant wait to drive my corvette and test it afterI replaced the old 305 dead engine with GM 350 High Performance do you think there will be a difference ?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:08 PM

Had a '76 Buick Estate wagon that you could push the pedal down so far on and the car would slow, then past a certain point it would "pop" and just go flat to the floor, you'd have to let the brakes "build" back up again. Changing the master cylinder fixed it.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jarrah_12

I replaced the old 305 dead engine with GM 350 High Performance do you think there will be a difference ?
Uh,....yah, you bet cha! Big difference. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-29-2008, 03:59 PM

C3 Starship you are right its better I love it few days and I'll post the pics . But still other problem the carburetor is really poor !! Ialmost swear it is not the one that I saw before I entered my car in the garage. I guess I have to buy another one do you think 770 CFM -- 4 Barrel is good for the engine if not please recommend 1 ? .

Do you thinkthe daythat I will stop thinking what next to repair will come .

Regards,

Quick Reply: Stingray '75 Trans. and brake