Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Strong Fuel Smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Default Strong Fuel Smell

I have a 1979 L-48 and there is a strong fuel smell in the car. I have looked all over the fuel lines and fuel pump and can't seem to find any leaks. There doesn't appear to be a loss of fuel either. The car runs fine so I have to assume the carb is tuned correctly (holly 600). Not sure where to look. The smell is always there wether the fuel tank is full or half empty. Any ideas?

Old 12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Default RE: Strong Fuel Smell

My '78 also had the same thing, I found the steel lines in the rear of the car where they go from the frame up to the top of the tank were rusted through. Also the rubber lines in the same area were brittle.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 PM

I will look tomorrow. Is this something that can be changed out without pulling the fuel tank? How did you go about fixing it? Never been in that area of the car but I guess it is time to investigate. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

You might check your charcoal canister. I had my purge valve crack and it finally got saturated w/ gas.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:46 AM

73 Shark, could you tell me where that is? Haven't heard about this before. I will look around in my manual until I hear back from you.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM

I have had similar problems with my 74.
First time it turned out to be the carb float settings, easy fix.
Second time, year laterit was a bad gas cap, cheap fix.
Good luck,
Schoon

Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

On my '73, it's down on the frame below the master cylinder. It is about 5" dia by about 8" tall w/ several vacuum lines going to it. It absorbs gas vapors when the engine isn't running and then when it is, the valve opens and allows engine vacuum to draw air in thru the bottom of the cannister, thru the charcoal absorbing the gas and then burning it. Also pulls vacuum on tank while running which is why they don't use a vented gas cap. So if you have a vented cap, the cannister w/ not be purged properly.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 AM
pg

I panicked to when I smelled gas fumes when I parked my car in the garage, there are 2 or more lines attached to the vapor canister depending on your year vette, I also had 2 rubber gas lines in the rear at the tank and a vapor seperator, I changed everything and still could smell fumes, I still have the original Q-Jet but it could be that the Holly just evaperates fuel from the carb just as the Q-Jet does. Check real good for leaks, but most likely it is not a leak or something to worry abiut.
PG.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 AM
pg

Vapor canister

Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 AM

I looked at the canister today and it has several small vacuum lines coming off of it (3/8 about). One large line attached to a metal one that I assume goes to the fuel tank. There was on more large line that had a bolt in it to cap it off, any idea where this is supposed to go. I have a 1979 L-48 with a 350 in it. I assume that it is original because looking at it it does not appear to have been touched in the last 29 years. Next question, how the *&^% do you get it out without pulling the master cylinder. It looks like if I break my arm in a couple of places I may be able to un bolt it but it is wedged down in there pretty good. All the fuel lines look ok, old but ok. Thanks

Quick Reply: Strong Fuel Smell