Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

stumped on the pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Default stumped on the pump

seventy nine vette with standard iron water pump. trying to make it a little more purdy with a chrome pulley set. Simple enough project he says. Oh no I say! Cannot find a set of water pump pulleys with a big oh 11/16 hole for the pump shaft to fit through. Everything I find is too small! All products seem to have a 5/8 hole. This a standard small block. Do I have the bastard water pump that is a one of a kind?
Maybe this pump is for abig block chev, I duuno if they are the same or not.

Any ideaswould be helpful in solving this issue. I would like to put this crate motor inon Saturday and drive it too. Shop rags are suppose to have grease an oil on then, not full of tears.

Any input from anyone with a suggestion will be helpful and I'll ge grateful too!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Default RE: stumped on the pump

Hey gigabyte try this link:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
If your not sure call the people at Summit Racing and they will help you. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:08 PM

I forgot to mention this is a short water pump

Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM

Give Summit a call. Trust me they can find one for you!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

When ya get the new pullies, make sure that they line up before scratching them up by bolting them on. I went through a minor hell, trying to get pullies to line up.A friend turned out a spacer for me on his lathe and solved my prob. I have a BB, so I'm not sure if you'll have the same prob. Just tryin' to give ya a heads up on somethin' to watch for.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Oh ya, theSB and BB have different pmps.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Hey Watwheel

Thanks for the help. I got one in today from Summit and it was a 5/8 hole that was shipped to me after speaking with thetech people. I called back and spoke with a diff person. A female non the less who was def on top of the show this time.The correct part is on the way thanks to her. I was just going to send the piece back with a not so nice note. I was beginning to beleive that I had a odd ball water pump. It is oddball enough that the part is not listed in the catalog or shown on the web portal, but is stocked by Summit. The first words out of her mouth was "Is this for a Corvette?" I knew then I had the right girl for the job.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

While I'm sure you can probably find pulleys that'll fit, if not then find a machine shop that can ream the 5/8" hole to 11/16" size.

BTW: I believe all or most Corvette SBC engines used the short water pump.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: gigabyte

Hey Watwheel

Thanks for the help. I got one in today from Summit and it was a 5/8 hole that was shipped to me after speaking with thetech people. I called back and spoke with a diff person. A female non the less who was def on top of the show this time.The correct part is on the way thanks to her. I was just going to send the piece back with a not so nice note. I was beginning to beleive that I had a odd ball water pump. It is oddball enough that the part is not listed in the catalog or shown on the web portal, but is stocked by Summit. The first words out of her mouth was "Is this for a Corvette?" I knew then I had the right girl for the job.
I have the same problem - got me some real pretty pulleys from summit - but they don't fit. What parts did you find that work? Do you have parts numbers and descriptions? Maybe I can get summit to exchange my pretty but non-functional ones for some that work....

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM

thats why when i put my rebuilt 327 in i went with the long pump!!! used a new set of aluminum pullies i got at a swap meet for 40 bucks!

Quick Reply: stumped on the pump