Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Telescopic Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Default Telescopic Steering

G'Day There
I've just bought a '79 Vette anddrove it from Columbus, Ohio to Henderson, Nevada, a 2354 mile trip (via Bowling Green, Memphis, Little Rock and the Grand Canyon).
Ihavea couple of small problems with it, and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, or answers about them.
The first one is the telescopic steering won't lock into position, and I believe if I replaced the locking ring (from Ecklers, part#45895) that would fix it??? Any ideas there??
The other one was, the electrical antenna was working fine BUTthen it started making this constant whirring noise, like it was trying to wind itself up (or down) continiously. At first it would stop if I turned the radio on and off a few timesBUT again after awhile it was constantand drove us up the wall, so I cut one of the wires to it (under the rear fender)to shut it up.I'm thinking that maybe it hassome sort of electrical capicitorthat charges up enough to wind the antenna up (or down) and that it's nowand malfunctioned so now it constantly gets power (and so it makes the continious noise) Any ideas there??
I'm also going to buy a few parts, to take back to Oz with me, because they're far cheaper (and easier to get) over here. The first one was radiator hoses.Any idea on what parts I should buy??
Thanks anyway.
Take it easy.
Beno

Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 PM
pg
Default RE: Telescopic Steering

Hi again,
Antenna problem could be a ground but more likely the unit is shot.
Steering Colum: check out http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4 better to do a few tests before you just guess and buy anything.
Parts Houses:
www.corvettecentral.com
www.docrebuild.com
www.corvettepartsdepot.com
www.paddockparts.com
www.mamotorworks.com
www.riksvet.com
www.volvette.com
Any of these will have radiator hoses, just ask them if the lower hose comes with a spring in it.
Might as well get some heater hoses while your at it.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Telescopic Steering

The antenna sounds like the plastic cord that runs it up and down is broken. If it's like the one on an 80 Cutlass that my son had in HS, then it'll have to be replaced.

BTW, welcome to the Corvette Forum.