Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

thermostat and protect o plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Default thermostat and protect o plate

i have changed my thermostat on my 71 coupe to a 160 degree therm, is there any bad ramifications to doing this???

also i know what a protectoplate is but where is it located on the car if it is located on the car at all?

Old 07-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: thermostat and protect o plate

160 degree thermostat will not hurt anything, especially in older cars like yours. The newer with fuel injection recommend the higher temps for better combustion efficiency. Not sure on the protectoplate, but my '69 Camaro's is on the firewall by the master cylinder.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Default RE: thermostat and protect o plate

Hi:

Changing the thermostadt may give you a little more power, and should make it run cooler, which could be helpful if your car is a big block 454.

The protecto plate is not located on the car. It is attached to the back of the warranty pamplet that came with other items such as the owners manual and bill of sale when taken new. It contains much needed service information about your Corvette, for example type of engine and transmission. The information is on there in numbered codes and like an ink stamp. For example a base motor 350 cubic inch four speed 72 Corvette would have the code CKW on the protecto plate. Also the dealer placed the original owners name and address on the protecto plate with a label maker. Therefore when the car was taken into the dealer for service the service writer could run the protecto plate through one of those old credit card like machines to obtain all of the information necessary for any service.

The trim tag which tells you about your Corvette paint and trim is located on the inside front driver's door jamb just below the top hinge.

Finally if you haven't already you should buy the Corvette Black Book by Michael Antonick. It is the bible of Corvette codes and other interesting information!

Hope this helps!