Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Trailing Arm Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Default Trailing Arm Bearings

Merry X-Mas and Happy New Year Guys and Gals
Well, I Tore down the *** end, all calipers and steering control valve with the piston. New Steering valve and piston are back in place. Removed both trailing arms ( they kicked and screamed the whole way, but I won and with no damage )removed strut rods and replaced bushings, repainted and replaced. Removedaxle shafts, U joints are toast, toooo much rust to even try to press out u joints, gave up and ordered new axle shafts, cheap enough and a x-mas present to myself. Okay, I am going to replace trailing arm bushings and alignment shims, ( This is what started this whole thing ), thats ok cause it all needs to be done. I don't want to reinstall with out replacing the bearings which I believe to be original. Question is, Is this a tough job to do? and would I need special tools? I have changed the E-Brake on my 79 years ago. and that was a chore, working through those small holes. I would like to do this myself, for self satisfaction, you know what I mean( its a guy thing). The rearend seals are new and also a new mono spring. The bearings don't feel bad at all but I don't want to have to touch the rear again. Any Help or Tips would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year to all your families. Batesy

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/CDD294E7EEB1445D90E3820909ACF383.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/C9D77B1857FF4E29AE813A7F5879DFA8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/40B3B9A29BC44E8296AA0E7FF4EE6F34.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Default RE: Trailing Arm Bearings

[]oops

Old 12-31-2007, 05:05 PM
pg

Hi and Happy New Year to you to! I replaced the same parts that you did, but to replace the bearings takes a few special tools so I just took the trailing arms to the local Corvette repair shop. PG.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

I cheated,.....[&o]. I got complete arm assemblies from Ecklers. Right up to the rotors.
Hat's off to ya there batesy. Sounds like a very complete job you're doin'. You're gonna Love it when you're done. Trust me....

( ya gonna do the front too? )

Old 01-01-2008, 07:42 AM

PG, Thats exactly what I was thinking as well, But before I did that, I thought I get some advise or input from someone that has gone through it.I had a feeling that it wouldn't be a cake walk and the need for special tools.I would like to sandblast and paint the arm before the new bearings are installed. I will inquire about that.
Hey C3, I did think about the rebuild departmentfrom Ecklers, Zip is alittle cheaper I found. new ones are just too dam much.Trying to save some cash for other items as needed as I pick at it, cause you always run into something else as you guys are aware of, anyways thanks for the input, It will help with my decision,Batesy

Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 AM

C3, I have already replaced the tie rods and ball joints and bearings in the front last summer. The A arm bushings looked ok , but will change eventually, Can the bushings be changed as is without taking the A arms off? Next year will probably be the carpet and interior items. Got to do the mechanics first. The interior is not that bad really, but to have it all new would be great, Thanks again Batesy

Old 01-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

To get the bushings, where the A-frame ataches to the front cross member, you won't have to fight it if you just remove the parts for rebuild. Get the A-frames out where you can handle them, and do ball joints, and bearingstoo. You can also clean and paint parts if you want. Heck, you could have all the parts coated.
Just thinkin' "out loud" here.....

Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 PM

I rebuilt my trailing arms and it was pretty easy with the right tools. Pretty much imposssible I think without them. I did mine about 8 mo. ago and there was a guy on ebay selling a complete tool kit to replace the bearings. It came with the tool to take out the axle, remove the bearings,tool to set up the end play,tool to install bearing and tool to install axle back in. It even came with a dial indicator. And you do need a tool for every step! I paid $235.00 for the kit. I like toys so I figured I'd go for it. Who know if I survive this resto I might do it again. Those damn Corvette engineers even make you buy a special tool to put the bushing in the trailing arm. I made one from a block of steel I had laying around. If your local in N.J. I can help you out.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

If you replace the trailing arm bushings w/ polyurethane ones, then you won't need a special tool. If you put stock rubber ones back in, then you'll either need the tool or make one in order to compress the bushing and swage the center tube. I did like Rich G. did and made my own.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Looks like you have the hard part-removal-finished. I helped a friend replace his(since I knew I was going to buy the car). He had real good luck with Willcox in Jeffersonville, In. After shopping aroundhe got everything new for a reallow price fully assembled. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm Bearings