Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

An M-21 is just as good, and prob a lot easier to find.
The "Starship" had an M-22 in it when I got 'er, but I had to do all of the drivetrain instalation when I installed a BB. It all came out, and went back in. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have as you progress with your changeover.
I'm planning on installing a 3 sp stick w/overdrive from a 56 Bel-aire in the future. I figure about 70 to 75 mph at around 2400 to 2600 rpms. Better for long cruises, IMHO. To each his own, I say.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 AM

Another option if you have no parts but have a lot of money you can go for a 5 speed conversion kit from Tremac . Finding a good muncie wont be cheep either. If your going to bang gears, the more the merrier

Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Default Transmission Cross Member

I read through this thread and did not find a clear anwser to the cross member issue. My 75 had an automatic in it when I bought it, but many signs point to the possiability that it originally had a manual. Either way I am converting to a manual. I just place a Muncie 4 speed into it, and the cross member is 6" behind the mounting bracket holes on the transmission. Is there an extension mounting bracket? The transmission is the same length as the auto (bellhousing to output spindle 28") but the mounting bracket holes are in different locations. Looked in the parts catolog and did not see anything obvious. Anyone have a picture of a manual transmission cross member? Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

I think the autos had a removable cross-member while the manuals were welded in.

Will try to take a pic of mine tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:41 AM

If you're into a standard shift f/ some reason, I suppose the conversion from auto to standard would be worth it. Even if you do the job yourself, it's quite a bit of work. Although these cars did come w/ standard shift also, so it'll all bolt up correctly in the end w/o any real major mods.
I've always been f/ a 4 speed automatic as my objective is a lower RPM at highway speeds. When my stock trans starts giving me problems, I'm going w/ the 2004R. As I've stated on here in the past, there are aftermarket companies that sell these transmissions that are beefed up and can handle from 400 to 800 hp, there are three different models. The parts are sold also, so if you do your own transmissions, you can do the job yourself. They're not only strong, but they also last. Alot of the street rodders use this tranny. The beauty of this tranny is that they're the exact same length as the TH350 so you can use your stock drive shaft if you have a TH350 in your ride from the factory. The only change needed is in the cross member, and from what I've read, by turning the stock cross member around, the mount fits perfectly. This application gives you the low first gear, (w/ the 1st. and 2nd. gear closer than the 700R,) and the high 4th. gear f/ zipping along on the highway at a friendly rpm, where your engine isn't yelling, "HEY, I'm ready f/ you to shift into high!"

Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Banned
Default Richmond 5 Speed for sale

I am selling my Richmond 5 speed transmission, included are the bell housing, clutch & pressure plate, slip yoke and shift linkage. The transmission was rebuilt 2000 miles ago. I installed a new TKO II (.82 OD) and have no use for the Richmond. Asking $1850.00. New Richmond Transmissions sell for over $3000.00.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Default transmission question

I put a Bowtie overdrive 2004R in my '79. There's an adapter plate bolted to the crosmember,when you remove that the tranny mount bolts to one of the holes that the adapter was bolted in. It had the TH 350 in it originally. There is a change in the sector on the shifter,Bowtie provides that and they'll set you up with the correct speedo gear and a kit to hook the ATP(?) valve cable to the throttle linkage. Great outfit to deal with! BTW they'll gladly sell you a replacement crossmember to put the 2004R in the vette,YOU DON"T NEED IT !

Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Camera memory card shot craps, so no pics. But sounds like there's enuf info here for you.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by partsman41
I put a Bowtie overdrive 2004R in my '79. There's an adapter plate bolted to the crosmember,when you remove that the tranny mount bolts to one of the holes that the adapter was bolted in. It had the TH 350 in it originally. There is a change in the sector on the shifter,Bowtie provides that and they'll set you up with the correct speedo gear and a kit to hook the ATP(?) valve cable to the throttle linkage. Great outfit to deal with! BTW they'll gladly sell you a replacement crossmember to put the 2004R in the vette,YOU DON"T NEED IT !
partsman,
Could you please give me the info to get a "Bowtie parts catalog?" The company sounds like it has a complete set-up f/ that tranny, something I would like to know more about.
Thanks so much f/ that info in your reply.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Jim,rather than pm the info I'll put in on here in case anyone else wants it. Not much anyway,just do a web search or google Bowtie Overdrives and navigate around the site. I don''t think they do a "package" per se,but they will help you with any questions and they will ship it all in one box if you order it all at the same time. They have different levels of builds depending on your power level and intended usage. I went for the braided stainless dipstick and atp cable,extra cost but lots easier to install. They don't have a catalog on paper(I don't think)it's all on the web site. You can print off the installation manual and read that first so you can decide what you need partswise BEFORE you order to save on shipping. All the guys I talked to were really helpful. They (and the manual) will walk you thru the atp cable setup so you don't burn up your new tranny like I did with the 700 R4 I put in my pickup. I looked at all the builders I could find on the web and in the magazines and after a lot of study went with Bowtie,I don't regret it!
Ron

Quick Reply: transmission question