Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

turbos...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Default turbos...?

Anybody with a turbocharged c3? I'm considdering a new project and was wondering how much room there is to work with, or should i just [sm=forgetit.gif] I'll be doing all the fabbing.
If people could post some pic's of there engine compartment, that would be geat.

Also whats the high speed stability like in the late c3's (150+mph) [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 01-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Default RE: turbos...?

I don't know personally of any C3 turbo set ups. I'm sure it can be done, at least with the small block.

ORIGINAL: ToolMan
Also whats the high speed stability like in the late c3's (150+mph) [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]
This I do know about, and to be blunt its not that good. I helped restore a C3 454, with a built motor producing about 390 at the rear wheels, about halfway between what the C5 ZO6 and the C6 ZO6. Initially the car got all squirrelly at anything over about 110, which since it could do that in the 1/4 easily, concerned us a lot. Frankly we chickened out at about 120 - you could not dependably hold it in a lane. We rebuilt both ends of the suspension, checked every dimension and measurement, played with the steering and different tire pressure (and even tires, we thought it might be the radial tires and went to older bias plys) none of this did a lot of good: the car was now okay up to about 125 but still acted badly above that. Finally, we flared the rear wheel wells and put 315s on the rear, not for traction just to widen the rear track a bit, and put some spoilers on both ends. That helped some and it would be reasonably stable up to about 135, but back-to-back drives in it and my C5 just left you wondering - "What's wrong?" it was nothing like the C5 at speed, still very edgy and nervous compared to that. A C5 is no big deal at 135. this car still left you feeling you were going really fast and could not take your concetration away from it for even an eyeblink.

Why? It might be just this car, perhaps it had beenhit or bent and we couldn't find whatever was wrong. But I suspect its partly suspension and partly aero: the car looks sleek but I doubt it really is, and I think it gets light at speed due to air pressure (we were convinced from the feel that wandering of rear end was the problem, and the rear spoiler looked and wider rear track did help, we put a small front one on just to balance it), and then I doubt the suspension is as good as modern technlogy.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 AM

thanks Lee

Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 AM

ORIGINAL: ToolMan

Anybody with a turbocharged c3? I'm considdering a new project and was wondering how much room there is to work with, or should i just [sm=forgetit.gif] I'll be doing all the fabbing.
If people could post some pic's of there engine compartment, that would be geat.

i was thinking of the same thing with my 1980 L-82, need custom piping and everything check this, might help u out http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218428

Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 PM

thanks bitts[8D]