Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Upper Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Default Upper Control Arm Bushings

So i made a post a few weeks back about control arm coming lose at the bushings. Well today i finally had time and tore it all down and it went very well from all yours guys help, thanks for that. Now that i have it out i can clearly see one of the bolts that was going into the bushing is gone which caused this mess. So i am going to change the bushings out while i am at this point since they got tore up a bit. Do this bushings need to be press fit in or is the bar and bolts going through them enough to hold them in place? Also does anyone know a good vender where i can find those bolts and bushings from? Also does anyone know of a website where i can find torque specs for putting the control arm back in? Thanks ahead of time!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Default RE: Upper Control Arm Bushings

Forgot to mention that my vette is a 1981

Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM

Hey sweetness try here: http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...p;dept_id=1805
I'm sure you'll find everything you need there. Also try: www.corvettecentral.com- Or www.corveteeamerica.com or www.riksvet.com. Glad to here everyone here gave you a helping hand. Good luck

Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

The only set I did was on friend's '66 and we had to use the smoke wrench to get rid of the rubber. Didn't have a press at the time. Will try to press mine out as it takes a long time to burn them out.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 AM

If your going to do the work yourself be careful with the press. The ears of the A-arm bend easily under the power of the press, you need to support everything well to avoid it. All of the parts are available through any of the mail order Vette dealers but this is old school Chevy-you can also get them from the chain auto parts stores.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the tip. Probably wind up burning them out as I seem to remember that the service manual shows some special tooling to use w/ a press.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM

so i got all the bushings out and ready to be replaced... I had the guy at the local corvette shop say that i need to lube up the urethane bushings with a urethane bushing lube while another local parts store guy said that high temp grease or bearing grease would work... so my question is, is there a certain lube i need to use on them and if so, where can i find it? none of the local part stores seem to know what im talking about.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Were you aware that there's now a poly bushing that's graphite impregnated? Supposed to eliminate squeaking.

We put the regular polys in my friend's '66 and they squeak like crazy.

To answer your question tho, I'd recommend a moly EP chassis lube.

Are you planning on autocrossing?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 PM

No i dont plan on autocrossing, thanks for the info though!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Was just curious as reason for poly. They do adversely affect ride while improving handling.

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arm Bushings