Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Upper Control Arm, Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Default Upper Control Arm, Need some help

So today i had my 81 out and cruising around since it finally warmed back up into the 60s instead of the 30s-40s brrr, but anyways when i was on my way back from driving i heard a pop noise on my last turn before my driveway and when i pulled in the car i investigated and found that the bolt that goes across the wide end of the control arm was sticking out about 2 inches each way and the control arm slid forward some. Now i guess my question is, did this happen because the bushings(maybe?) failed? or is there some other big problem that i am missing. I did not hit any kind of bump or do anything crazy with the car outside of normal driving. Needless to say that it was a bummer on a good day but how bad is it to remove the upper control arm (its the driverside) and when i do that, do i just need to replace bushing and that shaft? Any information would be great, i have never worked too much with the control arm aspec of the suspension so any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Upper Control Arm, Need some help

Put the front end up on jack stands and a jack under the lower A-arm, then loosen the nut on the upper ball joint so there's about a 1/8" gap. Now lower the jack and if the ball joint doesn't separate from the spindle, tap the top of the spindle near where the ball joint stud goes thru. If it still doesn't break apart, then you'll need to use a pickle fork to separate it. Once separated, put the jack back under the lower A-arm and put some pressure on it. Now you can finish removing the nut on the ball joint. Now you can remove the upper A-arm after removing the two bolts securing it to the frame.

It sounds like the two bolts securing the A-arm to the bar got very loose, maybe even came out. Probably wouldn't hurt to rebuild the front suspension if that's the case.

Please be very, very careful in doing this. Recommend getting the Chevy Service Manual.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 PM

Thanks a ton for your feedback man, it is very much appreciated.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Don't forget the spring. Ya want that sucka held in place, 'til you can safely remove it and the A-arm.

Oh ya, my first suspectsare def therod endjoints and bushings prob need replacing.
If you're gonna do the whole front, check your ball joints and wheel bearings too.
New springs?
You could go, Mono leaf?,...

Old 11-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

As long as he leaves the shocks in, the springs are captured and with a jack under the lower A-arm, should be OK.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

I was thinking that he might want to remove the A-arms and do the bushing changeout.
It can be a real hazard if ya don't pay attention.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 AM

How much difference would the mono leaf make and thanks for your guys' responses, i appreciate all the info i can get

Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have the Mono composite front and rear.I can adjust ride height and spring responce on each corner.

Check with Vette Brakes or Ecklers. They both sell the suspension system that I have. Vette Brakes actually developed the system that they and Ecklers sell.

Here is the system,..

Name:  011_HPIM0087-1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  89.6 KB

The 'Starship', handles like she's painted on the road. Flat and fast as he!! in the twisties.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Awesome man. Thanks so much for the info. I am really learning a lot on here, what a great place to find answers

Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

BTW, I dropped in a BB to replace a worn SB, and the suspension holds the extra weight just fine.

I'm not tryin' to sell ya on my choice, it just seems to work for me. There are a lot of options out there. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Look and ask around.

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arm, Need some help