Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Vette Hunting in New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Default Vette Hunting in New Mexico

I am moving to Alamogordo New Mexico. I was just wondering if anyone is in that area with a C-3 that can help me if I need it. I am currently looking for a C-3 and it may be in bad shape. Just trying to make connections before I get there. Oh andI live in Michigan but I am moving from England. (Military)

Old 01-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Default RE: Vette Hunting in New Mexico

bird-man,
Good place to ask for help, as everyone here jumps to the asking, which is great.
New Mexico is a great place to buy an older car, of any type. Hot and dry climate is the very best place to buy one. Growing up and finishing high school in New York (and leaving at the age of 18 to go into the Army, my family is still there in New York,) educated me on rust on autos due to salt on the roadsand harsh winters. When I hit North Carolina in 1975, Ft. Bragg's 82d Airborne, I first bought a '62 Impala and afew months later a '47 Plymouth (w/ the terrible/original 6 volt system) as the cars were so much more rust free and I was excited about how clean car bodies were. When I got to Texas, after doing a tour in Germany, I found old rides that were perfect. Since I was able to build motors to a good extent, I was able to own and drive old rides that were "lookin' good" and something I was always in love with. I suppose the old rides were even more impressive to me since they were rare items when I was growing up, except for the ones that afew motor-heads owned and went through. Anyway...
In New Mexico, you can find a 'Vette in good physical shape with a beat engine and/or drive trane and with some mechanical work, have a smokin' ride. It would be even better ifyou found a "one owner beauty" for afew dollars more as in the long run, you'll come out ahead. It always costs you more if you restore a ride rather than getting a super clean original. All in all, you're in the right part of the world to buy an "oldie." Just go through the posts in the C3 area, someone else was asking about what to look for when buying a C3 just lately. With body and frame in good shape, the sky is the limit.
If you go over as far as Houston, Texas, you'll find some 'Vettes cheap if you want to do alittle work. I looked into that a number of years ago. There are some whole-salers there who sell them for "cheap." Good luck.

***Is it "whole?" sale???

By the way, "Thanks so much for Serving in the military. Your time and efforts are sincerely appreciated.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

*You sure can talk!*

Texas is absolutly right, an he talks so much, 'cause he knows a lot.

*Thank you for your sevice to our country* [sm=hail.gif][sm=usa.gif]

Old 01-19-2008, 01:32 PM

I have already planned in my buying budget for shipping so there is no distance matters to find my perfect C-3. What of this place in Houston Texas Jim?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Check craigslist. I pulled up quite a few listings in new mexico. A lot of C-3s that looked like they were in really good shape. Then again the only way to truely tell will be to see it in person.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 AM

There are independent whole-salers in Houston. If you look in the 'Corvette Trader and afew others, you can find out about those places. Look around on the net and you'll find out about auctions in Houston and Dallas, however beware of the auction cars, you may get what you ask for, a 'Vette for TOO cheap a price but for all the wrong reasons.
I still say "buy a one-owner job" in a hot dry climate.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Also, if the person who sells you the car is named Bubba, run like hell.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Or his mechanic.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 AM

....or his cousin, actually if he knows anybody named bubba run like hell!!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

check here

http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classifieds.php?

Quick Reply: Vette Hunting in New Mexico