Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

What cam works best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Default What cam works best?

I have a stock 190HP 350 with a th400 tranny 3.08 gear ratio and I need to change the cam. The only thing I added to it was long tube headers. With all the cam options out there I am looking for something proven in this type of car.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What cam works best?

First, Welcome to CF.
What cam?
That depends on what you want out of your engine, what is the performance level you're seeking?
Do you want a little more HP, or are you going for a radical top performance machine?
There are a lot of ways to go here.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the reply!! I would like to get as much as I can out of the engine. I just don't want to change a bunch of other stuff to accomadate the cam.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

The main thing you're going to run into is the valve train. Stronger springs, solid lifters, tempered push rods, and even new valves.
If you're going to do a lot of changes to the top end, you may want to consider doing the whole engine. Build just the top, and you can blow out the bottom.
I really can't tell you what cam to use, a lot of "power" cams require the valve train upgrade.
Keep watching your post, and someone will come up with some specs for you. I just don't have the info available.
My all time favorite is the Duntov 30-30, which is a circle track racing cam.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:20 PM

Take my advice, Ive been there done that.
Save your money and buy a GM crate engine. You can get a nice 350/330hp for $3600 from Summit. This engine comes complete ready to drop into your vet. This engine has 140hp more then your existing engine. What it would cost you for that type of upgrade to your existing 350 would be more then the cost of the crate engine. You would probabbly need to rebuild your engine and then start adding all the stuff like Starship mentioned.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 PM

Dropping in a new crate motor is a great idea!! However, if you don't have the time and money to do a full engine swap and are just looking for a little better performance, do the cam. it is not hard to do and will really wake the car up. If you want even better performance check summit, jegs, etc. for the top end kits that include cam, lifters, intake, and carb. I got one for off idle to 5500 rpms power band. They can be had for around $1000 way cheaper than that new engine. I have an 81 with a 350 trans and 2.72 rear end and it runs very well with just the cam, intake, and carb swap. you should notice even more punch with the 3.08 gearing. By the way the cam can be removed without removing the engine. If it is an AC car just loosen the condenser and it will make it.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:57 PM

If you engine has more then 50k on it I would think it should be rebuilt before adding more power. This alone will cost you have or more then half of the crate engine price. Then add the cam and new parts ect.
Do your homework and see for yourself.
Also, putting in a cam may be easy for the mechanicaly inclined but if your not and you screw up get the check book out.
Remember new engines are more advanced and more dependable then the old ones.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

How true Schoon, If someone has never changed a cam before, they can scar the cam bearings.[:@] It's not all that easy to change a cam, you would have to pull the waterpump, timing cover, timiing gears and chain, dist., intake, valvecovers, push rods, lifters, and more than likely the radiator, to get the clearance to remove and instal a cam. Personally, a new part deserves new bearings too. New timing gears and chain, Hmmmm? Don't forget new oil seal and gasket for the timing gear cover. New gaskets for everything you remove. I can change engines in less time than I can change a cam. (Running to running.)
Buddies try to talk their friends into putting in a cam to increase HP, but......a lot of talkers have not done it. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of putting in a cam, it's a good idea to improve performace, just trying to give a heads up on what to expect.
If you can do the work, great! If you have to get a mech to do it, get the $$$ together.
Since I don't know your background in mechanics, I'm just trying to help.
Good luck!

Old 10-26-2006, 11:26 PM

Both of you have great points. I should have stated that for the mechanically inclined a cam swap is easy. Lets not forget all the hidden costs involved in swapping an engine or rebuilding one, either. It all boils down to experience, time, and most of all-budget. Good luck with what ever route you choose. Either way it will make the car that much more enjoyable!!!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 07:56 PM

IMHO, for the weekend mechanic... Edelbrock and several other manufacturers will help you step through power upgrades to keep everything in "balance". Carb, intake, cam, heads, ... they will talk you through building a menu of upgrades and prices, and help you get there (including letting you know how much effort will be involved).

bill.