Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

What month does mfg. end f/ that year?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Default What month does mfg. end f/ that year?

I remember that the new year models would usually be seen on the roadsome time inOctober each year. In the last decade or so, it seems to me thatthe date hasbeen pushed up alittle as it seems like just after the summer we see the new year models on the road. Is there actually any way to find out the date that the manufacturing ended for a certain year and model? And does it depend on total package parts on-handfor a certain model or is it strictly by date?
My 'Vette was manufactured in 8/'81. Seems to me that August would be pretty close to the end of the manufacturing period for that year. (I'm the second owner and have the window sticker and the "job spec.code print-out." It was manufactured in Bowling Green, Ky. and shipped to Star Chevrolet in Sierra Vista, Arizona. ($16,590.00).
If anyone knows anything about when the mfg. ends for certain years/models and how it's determined, please let me know about it.I'd not only like to know how close my car was to the end of the run for that year, but I'd also be interested to know how the end date is determined for all models.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Default RE: What month does mfg. end f/ that year?

Hey Tex

Manufacturing "Changeover" at least for GM is usually the first two weeks in July. It incorporates the the 4th of July holiday into the two week shutdown. How soon after that you will see the new models varies based on the different platforms the vehicles are in. Typically you should begin to see them on the lots around the first of September. That can vary a little either way such as the introduction of completely new product lines which sometimes don't hit the lots until January. Hope this gives you some insight. Sorry I can't nail an exact date for you on your car.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Did some checking for you and found the following:

There were 40,606 vettes assembled in 1981. To determine where yours was in that production year, look at the last 6 numbers of your vin number and that will tell you the where your car was assembled in relation to the 40,606 built. Based on the number of production days for that year I am guessing they were assembling approxamately 150-160 per day. That should give you an IDEA of when it might have been built. Hope that helps.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:18 AM

My last 6 digits are: 104391. I'm not sure I understand...

Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 PM

1=Model year 1981
04391= yours was the 4391 0f 40606 made

Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 PM

I would guess it was assembled at the end of August 1980.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:27 PM

Watwheel, I went to the site for the "Bowling Green Plant" and afew others just now. I noticed that my GM Corvette Manual didn't mention Bowling Green but only St. Louis. I read on the "Bowling Green" site that the plant in St. Louis closed on August 1st, '81 and the plant in Bowling Green opened on June 1st, '81, so both plants were in operation for two months. I also found a GM Corvette site (which General Motors Mfg. operates) where you enter the last 8 digits of your VIN and they get back to you via email with the answer to the question(s) you ask in the block. I asked exactly when my car was built and where in the # sequence it fell, the date of the last 'Vette MFGd at Bowling Green and for any other info that has to do with my car and/or this topic.
As for the total number of Corvettes that were MFGd for '81, I haven't found out how many of that forty thousand plus 'Vetteswere built at the Bowling Green plant. If I get anything back from the GM site that's worth anything, I'll let you know.
Thanks alot for helping me out on the topic.
**MFG date on driver door is: 8/81

Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I would be really interested in what you found out. After i researched a little deeperI found where they were made at both plants. So it is quite possible you have one of the last to roll off the line with the 81/86 tag on it. I know they had to have ceased production in Sept. That's been a staple as long as I have been here at GM (32 yrs).
I'll keep digging over here through some channels just in case you don't get the info you are loking for.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 PM

That site is: http://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com This is where I entered my last 8 digits of my VIN. Still waiting for the info.
I had afew friends who worked in the Tarrytown, New York GM plant. (The property is nowbeing sold to build condos as it's right on the Hudson River and only 30 minutes from the city. I was born in Tarrytown (Sleepy Hollow) and grew up in Ossining, 10 minutes from there. All the old neighborhoods just north of the Bronx are being over-run by the yuppies and all the old-timers are leaving. Very few Irish, German and Italian neighborhoods anymore who all knew each-other, just a bunch of strangers.)
Thanks again for lookinginto this, I'll keep you informed of what I find out.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 PM
pg

Hi Texas Jim and Happy Holidays.
1981 St LouisVette's were first made in Aug 1980, the serial #'s started at 400775 and ended in July with 431611.
1981 Bowling Green cars were first made in June , the serial #'s started with 100692 and ended in October with 108995.
Have you looked at the trim tag on the drivers door?It gives the interior color, the car color, and a three letter and number code to help you figure out the date the car was made.
On mine it's J01 for May 1, 1974, do you have that?
Hope this helps, PG.

Quick Reply: What month does mfg. end f/ that year?