Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Hav
Default Whats it worth?

I am looking at buying a 79 'Vette from a relative... The vette is 100% restored, but not to factory specs. It has a 350 crate motor, which I believe he has the build sheet on, paint is almost perfect, complete factory look on the outside. Inside is a different story. Interior has been gutted and redone. New dash, new carpet, new door panels, custom upholsterd seats with a logo on them (not sure if its a bowtie or the vette emblem.. I know its one or the other.. I havent seen it since the interior was redone). I drove the car a couple of years back before the interior was redone and it had a lot of power behind it.

He also has the numbers matching block to go with it. Tranmission is original just rebuilt. Its an automatic, glass T tops and body colored tops, L-48 with factory air, 6 disc cd changer.... I'll attach a pic.. I need to get a few of the interior from him.

Just wondering if anyone had a good guess at what its worth. NADA seems.. well.. pretty darn high. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Whats it worth?

NICE LOOKIN' VETTE, Dude!
What's it worth to you, first. On the market.................hmmmmmmmmm............could start around 12g's. Maybe go as high as 15g's. I've seen worse for 17g's. Ground up, frame off restores will go into the mid to high 20's, and up!
Watch the "relative" thing though, been scerwed more than once by mine, I just don't deal with them any more. Kin is Kin, but business is business! (and money is money)
Sounds like all the pertys are done and eng/ trans. I'd look close at the suspension and elec too.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:46 PM

Up here in Canada, that baby would fetch near $20k, I am sure. Mind you, I've never figured out why used cars are "worth" more up here... our dollar is pretty near even these days.... I've seen examples of our '87 in the States going for dollars that make me cringe at times (so much lower than Canadian prices it seems).

But C3 Starship has a real good point, especially when concerning Vettes in my opinion... what's it worth to you?

Old 09-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

What's he askin' for it?

Old 09-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Hav

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

What's he askin' for it?

He isnt trying to sell it publicaly.. he has 2 other vettes (both C4's) he is actualy advertising trying to sell to go twords a new C6... the guy loves vettes. He said he would sell it to me for 10k.. I know he bought the car very cheap and did most of the work himself. Car was a disaster when he bought it... fibeglass issues, destroyed interior, motor and tranny were in terrible shape... but its all in great shape now.

I wanted to double check and see the "market value" on it.. I know its a great buy going off of NADA, but wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Hav

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

What's he askin' for it?

He isnt trying to sell it publicaly.. he has 2 other vettes (both C4's) he is actualy advertising trying to sell to go twords a new C6... the guy loves vettes. He said he would sell it to me for 10k.. I know he bought the car very cheap and did most of the work himself. Car was a disaster when he bought it... fibeglass issues, destroyed interior, motor and tranny were in terrible shape... but its all in great shape now.

I wanted to double check and see the "market value" on it.. I know its a great buy going off of NADA, but wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it.

Thanks!
WOW! I'd go for it, if I were you!! If you do, please, we'd love to see more pictures of it, it's a gorgeous car!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

10 g's????? Dude,.... Buy it!!!
That's a great lookin' Vette!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

I just looked at the pics again. If I was lookin', I'd ****** that baby before sundown!!!
What an opportunity!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Hav

Lol, thanks for reassuring me guys.

I was sold the second I heard the price........ but I need all the backing and help I can get to try to convince my wife that its a great buy [8D]

Hopefully will end up with it sometime soon!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Hav

Lol, thanks for reassuring me guys.

I was sold the second I heard the price........ but I need all the backing and help I can get to try to convince my wife that its a great buy [8D]

Hopefully will end up with it sometime soon!
Tell her that Vette would go on the open market for 15 to 19 g's! NO BULL!!!
I'd go 15 g's, just from the pics. (of course I'd want to drive it before handing over the cash)
Take her for a ride, just don't scare her!!!

My wife and I recently went for an introductory flight in the hopes of me getting my private pilot's licence. I went up first, and told the instructor, "If you scare my wife, I'll never get my licence". He did some hairy stuff with me, but I was O. K. with that, I've flown small planes since I was a kid. He took her up and treated her with kid gloves, explaining what was going on and even let her fly a little. Guess what, I got the
official "Oaky Doaky" from her to go ahead!!!

Quick Reply: Whats it worth?