Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Wiper/Washer relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Default Wiper/Washer relay

I've got a 1971 Vette which has had some awful cobbling on the wiring. My current project is trying to get the wipes working again. They only work when you push the switch in for the washers. I have already replaced the switch before I got a wiring diagram and the service manual but that didn't do the trick. Now that I've got the wiring diagram, I'm trying to troubleshoot and repair the proper way instead of guessing. My problem is there is a wiper/washer relay in the diagram but I can't seem to find it on the car. I looked under the hood, dash, and by the fuse box and I cant seem to find it. I know it exists because I've seen it in the parts catalogs. Is it hidden or has that been cobbled out too? I could probably follow it back from the switch but it's zero degrees here today so if someone could tell me where it's suppose to be I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 PM
pg
Default RE: Wiper/Washer relay

Hi filstoy, and welcome to the forum. The relay is in and part of the wiper motor. The wiper system has two seperate ground wires, one is under the hood ( a black wire ) and goes from the wiper motor to a bolt on the bell housing, the other ground is from the switch thru the center guage console, since your wires are cobbled, just run a wire from the switch bolts to a good ground under the dash, that should fix your problem, PG.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought that may be the case but someone told me it was under the console so I came here to get a second opinion. I put a new clutch in the car so I know the bell housing wire you mentioned is not there. Looking at the diagram, that's probably why the blower motor doesn't work either. I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting this stuff but the previous owner touched up the engine compartment with black paint and even painted the wires. When I got it almost nothing electrical worked on it but now I've gotten all the lights and the vacuum stuff working. Runs, looks and drives great. Just needs some TLC on the electrical. And since I'm in Michigan where you can't trust the weatherman I definitely need those wipers LOL.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Hey filstoy, where you at in Michigan? I'm in Ann Arbor.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Up at the base of the thumb in the huge metropolis of Almont. We even have a McDonalds now but currently no heat.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Wow! movin' up now with Mc Donald's, sorry to hear that, now the small town feel is going to fade. No heat at your house or are you talking about no heat in Michigan? Zero here now but at least the wind died down. I gotta' hit the hay now 'cause people will want their furnace fixed tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Grounded the wiper yesterday as you suggested and bingo , the wipers worked. Washers are still not working but I would have had them going too if my dog had not decided scratch my eye. Any way, I got the assembly manual yesterday and sure enough it does show a relay under the console,seperate from the one in the motor. My son took it apart for me (while I wasted six hours in emergency ) and this is the one that was under there :
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...p;dept_id=1122
Surprise, the wires were snipped to that also. I suspect that's why the washers aren't working but it should be no problem figuring it out now that I've got all the info and good ground. Have to wait 24-48 hours until I get me eye back though. Can't read much thanks to a monster ****zu. I should probably get a new harness because with all the jumping and jury rigging I did it's starting to look pretty bad but somehow I got the wipers working whether it's correct or not for now. BTW, can't thank you enough for the ground info. Vette's are a little bit of a different animal than I'm used to since they are fibreglass.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 PM
pg

Hi again, sorry about the bad information about the relay, I didn't pay attention that your Vette is a 71.
Take care of your eye problem, hope your better soon, PG.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2883/623AB45B787D4CD681B2ED9FF853F30D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

When you say the washer is not working, do you mean it's not squirting or the pump isn't pumping? If the pump isn't pumping, then you might still have an electrical problem as a solenoid unlatches the pump and lets it cycle several strokes. If the pump is working, then pull the hose from the washer fluid reservoir and with it pumping, force water into the hose w/ your mouth. The pump seal will dry out and sometimes this will restore it for a while. The pump is available separately from most auto parts stores.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Pump wasn't pumping but I've got it figured out now. Wiring in the car is a disaster. I cannot figure out why the previous owner hacked everything but now I've got the assembly manual and a service manual and I've got most everything working.
PG: nothing to be sorry for. The ground wire on the bell housing you metioned was missing so that solved several little problems including the heater blower, so it turned out to be very good info. Corvette Central says it was originally mounted on the starter but gets left off or accidentally mounted to the positive terminal (EEK !) because of it's size so they recommend mounting it on the bell housing but it wasn't there either so your info was a real time saver. Thanks again guys for the help.