Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Worst weekend I've had in awhile.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Default Worst weekend I've had in awhile.

So the subject pretty much sums up my weekend. The **** for the window on the passenger side just came off and so did the passenger side door handle. The original control system feels like it's made of pewter. It snapped right off.
On top of that I just found out the power steering pump needs to be replaced.

Oh and while driving home, the ball joint broke free of the power steering control valve. So right now my car has no steering.

So........Blarg!

-Rick

Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Default RE: Worst weekend I've had in awhile.

welcome to the world of OLD cars.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM

so true blknblu,I have a 72 chevelle and an 80 vette. Everything I drive is old and thats just what you learn to deal with. I'd still take my older cars over a new one any day.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 AM

any pics of that chevelle? heres one of my 71

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM

I'll post one tonight. My internet at work blocks my photo pages so I can't link to them.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 PM

Usually when I get a ride, and it's always an older one, I go through it completely and then I know what I have and start on an even playing field, the ride and I. This 'Vette is one car that I didn't go through when I got it. I sometimes wonder why I didn't, although I listen to and feel the car every time I drive it,and I think it's because I'm married now and have less time, to take my weekends turning wrenches all day, time to get into it and start really feeling it again, like it used to be for years prior. I hate to admit, but if it weren't for kids, I'd be single for sure. Anyway, that's what one needs to do in my opinion, live the turning of wrenches on your rides. At 50 years old, I've found that one of the most fulfilling things I've ever been into is the turning of wrenches and living my older rides. French Commando school w/ the French Army was on the same level, but ofcourse after grad day, it was all over. And yes, things will break and come apart, but it's all part of the territory. Just don't feel alone, there are plenty of us out there. Let us know how it goes getting it back together.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM

That's a smooookin' '71 guy. I had 2 friends who had SS Chevelles that year when we were in high school, one the 396-375 hp. And one guy, Greg Oxley, had a '69 that was a 396-325 with a 4:88 rear and a Crane cam and ran a 12.99 et at National Speedway in the E/Stock class. You could run open head pipes or street slicks, he ran open head pipes. ( It was called E/S-optional) It was 1973 and the street Chevies were really "out there." We'd go to the track on Sunday, 5 guys in the car, drive the car there andback,cooler full of beer, bag of weed, and take the trophy every time for E/S. LOL What times they were.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Texas Jim

That's a smooookin' '71 guy. I had 2 friends who had SS Chevelles that year when we were in high school, one the 396-375 hp. And one guy, Greg Oxley, had a '69 that was a 396-325 with a 4:88 rear and a Crane cam and ran a 12.99 et at National Speedway in the E/Stock class. You could run open head pipes or street slicks, he ran open head pipes. ( It was called E/S-optional) It was 1973 and the street Chevies were really "out there." We'd go to the track on Sunday, 5 guys in the car, drive the car there andback,cooler full of beer, bag of weed, and take the trophy every time for E/S. LOL What times they were.
thanx Jim, its a real clean original malibu from AZ that an older fella in wisconsin had up until 4 yrs ago when i bought it . It has all the original sheetmetal on it but the 307/350 was the first thing to go now it has a 475 hp 383 with a beefed 350 with a shift kit and 3000 stahl conv.
i went through it from the radiator to the rear end every thing new or rebuilt better than fact. I took it to byron drag strip about 3 months ago and it was a constant low 12`s pissed alot of SS/ BB car guys off that were there runnin high 12`s low `13`s!!
I walked away from my buddy in his firechicken vert after i watched him leave before me LOL!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM

heres the motor

Old 10-08-2007, 03:47 PM

Heres my 72. You'll notice something a little different!

Like a couple extra doors! It's my daily driver until I get my Vette on the road again. Then I'll swap depending on mood.

By the way Texas Jim, I did something similar with my Vette. Probably should have done a better job checking it over and have found a few things more than I expected but its getting close to being where I want it. Sometimes you just get a little tunnel vision and miss some important things.

Quick Reply: Worst weekend I've had in awhile.