Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

1986 AC leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 07:28 PM
Default 1986 AC leak

Every year since 2017 I’ve taken my car in to a Chevrolet dealer and/or private shops to have the AC repaired. To date, the evaporator core, the compressor, the dryer, a conversion kit fitting and the long silver tube running along the right side of the engine have all been replaced. The system is recharged and lasts for approximately 2-3 months. They have put dye in the system and found a pin hole leak in the silver tubing I mention above. I sent to Old Air in Texas for the replacement part as no one locally could find one. Again, 2-3 months after installation and charge and failure. Not sure what to do next. I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:43 AM

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear you are Loosing your cool. (sorry not funny this time of the year!) Your best choice is to have them fix it again, I question the quality of the parts they are using. (import?) After 3 months no warranty right? You can replace the long silver line (high pressure liquid gas line) or if the pin hole in a straight area,(no bends) they could cut the line at the pin hole and install a 3/8in tubing union if you have the space to do that. Unions are only a few dollars.. If you have a replacement line coming have them install it and hope for the best. you will be good for another 3 months, Right? I did see A/C lines on Corvette Central. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2022, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Obviously there's still a leak somewhere besides the pinhole leak you found in the high pressure line. Surprised they can't find it if they put dye in the system. After they do these repairs, do they pull a hard vacuum on it and see how long it'll hold? If it doesn't hold a vacuum then there's no use of putting more parts in it until you find where the leak is.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by thomas77
Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear you are Loosing your cool. (sorry not funny this time of the year!) Your best choice is to have them fix it again, I question the quality of the parts they are using. (import?) After 3 months no warranty right? You can replace the long silver line (high pressure liquid gas line) or if the pin hole in a straight area,(no bends) they could cut the line at the pin hole and install a 3/8in tubing union if you have the space to do that. Unions are only a few dollars.. If you have a replacement line coming have them install it and hope for the best. you will be good for another 3 months, Right? I did see A/C lines on Corvette Central. Good luck!
Good advice. Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum. Obviously there's still a leak somewhere besides the pinhole leak you found in the high pressure line. Surprised they can't find it if they put dye in the system. After they do these repairs, do they pull a hard vacuum on it and see how long it'll hold? If it doesn't hold a vacuum then there's no use of putting more parts in it until you find where the leak is.
You help very much appreciated.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:31 PM

It is possible to lose a charge over a three month time period thru a pin hole, Even more so on the high pressure side. Have them repair the leak. evacuate the system and if it holds vacuum for 30 minutes then charge it. After the charge is done have them take an electronic snooper over the entire system to detect any leaks..

Old 08-26-2022, 07:53 PM

Thank you Thomas. I will definitely have them try this. Excellent advice and very much appreciated.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

If the shop you're taking this to is a competent A/C repair shop then you shouldn't have to tell them this. For instance when they pull the vacuum to see if the leak was repaired, they should break that vacuum with freon and then pump it down again before recharging this system. Also if the system has been without any freon in it and had a leak, then the desiccant should probably be replaced in it.

Old 08-27-2022, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
If the shop you're taking this to is a competent A/C repair shop then you shouldn't have to tell them this. For instance when they pull the vacuum to see if the leak was repaired, they should break that vacuum with freon and then pump it down again before recharging this system. Also if the system has been without any freon in it and had a leak, then the desiccant should probably be replaced in it.
73shark, thank you for your input. I’ve taken it to three different places. Two of them are Chevrolet dealers. One was a private shop. Some I’ve been back to more than once. At least five attempts have already been made to repair it to the point where it will continue to function. The last attempt was by Spurr Chevrolet in Brockport, NY. I have an appointment for September 12th to take it back there again to give them a second chance at it. It’s been so very frustrating. I’m beginning to think this AC system has some kind of curse on it.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:21 PM

Yes it is unusual to have this much trouble! Worked in a chevy dealership years back in the early 80`s, Installed many A/C units in new cars and pickups, and they had very few problems. But once in a while someone would get that vehicle that would come in and we would call it the problem child! But it did get fixed eventually. I think you have that child! Be sure to vent your frustration about this situation so they take you serious and get it fixed right! I`m sure it will happen!

Quick Reply: 1986 AC leak