Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

1990 Cargo Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:44 AM
Default 1990 Cargo Interior Lights

Does anyone have any idea where the switch is that controls the rear cargo interior lights on a C4 (mine isa 1990) Corvette?

The cargo lights started staying on all the time so I simply removed the bulbs until I could start working on it. I've done some research and the only apparent switch I find looking at both the car and my 1984-1990 Parts manual is the rear hatch door ajar switch.

Interesting enough, the "door ajar' idiot light on the dash doesn't come on when the hatch is open and the ignition is on although it works if either car door is opened so I know the "door ajar" idiot light works. I've noted that with the ignition off and the doors closed and the hatch open that the "security" idiot light flashes as it should but when I depress the rear hatch door ajar switch the "security" light stops flashing (also as it should according to the owners manual). This leads me to believe that the switch works but I don't understand why the "door ajar" idiot light doesn't come on when the ignition is on and the hatch is open (the owners manual says the "door ajar" idiot light should come on if either door or the hatch is open) and the lights are staying on all the time.

Is there simply one switch (door ajar switch) that is used for the security system, the hatch "door ajar" condition and to control the rear cargo interior lights? That would make sense to me (multi-function switch to reduce costs) but if the switch has malfunctioned then I don't understand why the security security function appears to work but the door ajar doesn't work and the cargo lights stay on.

Any one have any experience or ideas?

Thanks in advance....

Old 05-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Default RE: 1990 Cargo Interior Lights

Unless I'm reading your thread incorrectly, I turn on the cargo area lights, while I'm in the car travelling, by turning the headlamp switch all the way to the left. If I didn't help you with this, sorry. Maybe I misread your thread. []

mypetu39

Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Yes, your statement is correct. Using the rotating lever on the headlight switch should cause all interior lights to illuminate. However, when you exit the vehicle with the ignition off and open the hatch, only the rear cargo lights should illuminate while the hatch is open (at least that the way I remember it working).

I've actually had this problem once before and took the car to a dealership for repair. They replaced a switch which corrected the problem. I maystill have that receiptand, ifI do, it's possible that it has the part number of the switch they replaced. If so, maybe I can check the part number with the dealership parts departmentand see if what they replaced was, in fact, the rear cargo "door ajar" switch or something else.

Thanks.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 AM

i had that problem after using a rear window vent.It brt the switch bracket enought to keep the lights on.Im chashing other battery drain issuses now.If it sits for 3 4 days its dead.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

The "Hatch Ajar" light works through the Central Control module based on iput from the hatch switch which grounds the circuit and turns on the 2 cargo lamps and spare tire lamp. My guess is the diode module is grounded keeping the lights on. Since it is after the switch, that might be a place to look. Here is a wiring diagram for you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1427/6B779E0EB11D44309E41CC0C88EF8404.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007, 06:23 AM

mech259,

Most helpful. Thank you very much.

I've ordered the 1990 Chevrolet Corvette Factory Service Manual - 3 Volume Set which should contain wiring diagrams as well. Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams in Chiltons and Haynes repair manuals leave a lot to be desired.

Again, thanks....