Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

1990 Corvette Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Default 1990 Corvette Carpet

I've bought new seat cushions and leather coversfor my 1990 Corvetteand now my wife wants me to install new carpet before I put the new seats in the car.

Has anyone replaced the carpet in their C4 Corvette? If so, how was the quality of the carpet set you purchased, did it include everything you need (including front and rear speakercovers), how much of a problem was it to install, did it fit well, how much trimming (if any) was required, would you do it again or pay someone else to do it,etc.?

Thanks in advance...

Old 05-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Default RE: 1990 Corvette Carpet

I know several people who replaced carpet. All have been happy with their replacement. Its a lot of work and no replacement sets come with the carpet to recover the speaker covers. The speaker covers are no longer available anywhere.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 AM

I am going to replace mine pretty soon as well. I am concerned about the speaker covers too, mine are looking pretty crappy. If they are not available anywhere what can you do to have them redone?

Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 PM

I have seen some good looking carpet replacement offers from both Eckler and Mid-America Corvette.

They look good in the pictures....

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:45 PM

These people have the best prices on complete carpet sets http://www.corvetteamerica.com/

This should work for front speaker covers http://www.rtboxes.com/index.html?/l...FQi9VAodY2oPUw

Old 05-25-2007, 10:30 PM
cwb

Today I cleaned the carpet in this machine ('94) that I brought home yesterday. It took about 5 1/2 hours, to pull the seats, vacuum, then pull the steamerthrough it all.

Workin' the upholstery wand around the hard top keepers, and above the rear speakers, among other places,is a little tricky - I don't think bill clinton could maneuver around reporters any better, but it's airin' out now, andwill be ready to get dirty again tomorrow.

Black carpet ain't tough to clean tho', but dislodging some of that corner jam seems to take a pocket knife and a nuclear device.

What color is the rug there, seal?

Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 PM

I hate to say this but steam cleaning is not a good thing to do to carpet. It melts the adhesive used to install the carpet and it melts the binders in the carpet backing.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:18 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

I hate to say this but steam cleaning is not a good thing to do to carpet. It melts the adhesive used to install the carpet and it melts the binders in the carpet backing.
Yup, it might could. Almost.

In your house, the professional steamers will make a fast pass with the wand over seams, for that reason. Their propane fired heaters (or manifold heat exchangers), almost make enough heat to solve the glue. I did it while in college. We did plenty of vehicles' interiors too.

Hot tap water in the grocerystore's Rug Doctor, won'teven thinkabout carpet adhesive.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:20 AM
cwb

It appears that industry standards have changed since I did this as an independant contractor...

It is now RECOMMENDED to steam your carpet every two years.

http://www.thecarpetsite.com/carpet-cleaning.aspx

I did not know that!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 AM

uhm I am planning to buy a carpet for the next month.. What kind of carpet is nice?

Quick Reply: 1990 Corvette Carpet