Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

1993 Corvette Anniversary Edition Help....Please Read.....

Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Default 1993 Corvette Anniversary Edition Help....Please Read.....

Guys,

My girlfriend has a 93 Vette that had the keys stolen to it the night before Thanksgiving of 2008. It has sat parked for this entire time with a car blocking it to keep the thugs that did this from stealing it.

Here is the dilemma:

Just recently she got the money to get it fixed. We called a locksmith, and he asked for the VIN, which we gave him, and he made a key for it. Supposedly there are like 15 or 16 combinations that are valid for that year. Hers is supposedly #6 if i remember correctly.

Well, the key was made, and the vehicle had jumper cables hooked up to it to recharge the battery, as it had been sitting for months.
When the vehicle was attempted to be started the security system goes off immediately (horns sounding), and it would not start. We were at a loss at this point. So, we decided to have it towed to the dealership to have them see why the vehicle would not start. They diagnosed it, and said the key is correct, and that the VATS was sending the correct signal to the CCM for the vehicle to start, but it still would not turn over.

If the VATS verified that the correct key was inserted into the ignition, then why did the security system go off (horns sounding)?

The service advisor said that the CCM was bad. How does it just go bad? The vehicle was sitting for over 6 months, and it was running fine before her keys were stolen. Anyway, he said it could take up to a month to find a CCM for the car, as he looked on the parts network and couldn't locate one. Does this sound right to you guys?

This was like 2 weeks ago, and we have not gotten a phone call about the part availability one way or the other. It's very frustrating.

Surely, someone on here has had their keys stolen/lost and had to have it replaced, and been in this same situation, seeing as how this car is a 1993 model.

I'm sorry for my ignorance on this matter, but I am not familiar at all with the inner workings of the electronics for the Corvettes. I have a 2006 GTO, and I would presume that it would even more confusing for it, should this happen to me. I just hope that I never get to this point after my extended warranty runs out 10/2011.

Any advice/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks Guys!!

Last edited by 93Corvette5.7L; 06-30-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 AM

I had a lot of trouble with my VATS system. I was stranded too many times to count. Save your self a lot of head achs and install a VATS bypass form Eklers, Corvette Central, ect. It's a plug and play device you can install your self for about $30. You can always get a locking security device for the steering wheel or pedels later.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:04 PM

did u use ground on battery when boosting,if so that has been know to cause computer/eletronic problems.or wrong chip for car,just a suggestion.using the override for sec. system like mike said probably be best bet.