Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

1994 LT1 Upper Rear Oil Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Default 1994 LT1 Upper Rear Oil Leak Question

Hello All! Going thru a clutch replacement ....wow what a job - gotta take half the car off to get it done!! Seem to have an upper rear engine oil leak above the flywheel housing. Does anyone know what might be in that area to cause the leak. I looked around the lower rear area of the valve covers but doesnt seem to be coming from there. Is there a sending unit in that area that might be suspect? Oil lines? Any help is appreciated...

Old 05-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Default RE: 1994 LT1 Upper Rear Oil Leak Question

I think you hit it with the sending unit. I believe that's where yours is at. Very common problem just rough to get to. It also could be an intake gasket but that's getting the cart before the horse. Check the sending unit first.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Most likely you are looking at an intake gasket leak. The LT1s do not use a gasket at the back of the intake, just silicone. Intake leaksare very common on these engines.The silicone will dry out over time and leak like a SOB. Not too bad of a job really, the LT1s don't have coolant going through the intake so its a very clean job. Gasket set should be less than $20 and make sure to use a good RTV silicone(i.e. ultra copper) on the front and back of the block. Good luck!

[/align]

Old 05-13-2007, 10:25 AM

I think it is highly likely the intake manifold gasket is the culprit. Once I get that off I will take a hard look at the oil pressure unit too. Might be easier to just do both at the same time just in case. THANKS AGAIN for the input.

Just finishing clutch job and man that is some work since I'm doing it from a hard garage floor...of course with carpet...lol. Just a note to all readers. As I removed the dual mass flywheel...you know... the EXPENSIVE one that cant be resurfaced! I noticed it had factory GM part number cast on it and that LUK was the maker. I replaced it with an actual LUK brand to save the dollars that GM wanted. It still cost me $660 dollars delivered but better than nearly $900-1000 for the GM version. So for those of you in that clutch replacement dilema that might help you save a few bucks. Also the original clutch and pressure plate were VALEO with GM part numbers stamped on them. The new VALEO package can be had for less than GM parts too. Overall clutch job wasnt too bad except for the fact that you have to take half the car apart to get it done. Also the flywheel housing clutch fork is a bit hard to deal with...but finally got it on the release bearing. Takes a little finesse with a mallet and bar...lol. Also the driveline torque rail is a bear to work with when removing/installing the tranny. Is always in the way and the bolts holding it on are tough to deal with due tot tight work space...still doable though...PATIENCE ...no wrench throwing! BY the way the clutch job cost me about $1000 for parts...I was quoted almost $3000 to have it done. Glad I did myself and saved the bucks. About 2 partial days to get er done with son's help! Who said kids cant earn their keep...this one did the past 2 days!