Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

700R4 Problems with up/down shifts after rebuild due to 3rd/4th Burnt Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 04:56 AM
Default 700R4 Problems with up/down shifts after rebuild due to 3rd/4th Burnt Clutches

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce myself as I am new to this site and being that this is my first time using forums and I have a feeling like it won't be my last now lol. My name is Nate. I am a new owner into the world of corvettes but I have a great deal of knowledge in the automotive industry. Unfortunately Transmissions are not my world of expertise but I would have great appreciation towards being taught the ropes within these picky and yet important aspects of our vehicles. I do want anyone that is willing to help me with my problem know that, I have done lotssss of reading so rest assured that I am pretty confident that I will be able to keep up very well.

so anyways, for my problem now. I had the need to rebuild my transmission in my 88 vette due to burnt 3/4 clutches and my guess was because what I noticed during removal of the trans is that my TV Cable was way loose. Thus telling me it was far from adjusted correctly and caused me to burn up the clutches. So I purchased a Master Rebuild Kit from Monster Transmissions.

Oh I surely do not want to forget to mention this is my first transmission EVER that I've worked on and actually felt brave enough and confident enough in myself that I could do it by myself lol WOW was I shocked after really getting into the truly intricate part of the rebuild(Valve Body and Check ball system) with all the variations and sizes and very touch mechanisms I realized I bit into something I should not have choosing to do it alone lol Anyways, after replacing all seals/gaskets/O-rings and all the Clutches/Clutch Plates. I reinstalled my trans with not one single part left unaccounted for and seemed as though it all went smooth as I hoped for. I correctly adjusted my TV Cable and full install went very smooth as well so now it was time.

While Taking my car for test drive, I noticed immediately something was not right. The car while shifting between Park/Reverse/Neutral/OD/D/2nd/1st gear selections and engage properly, but while driving and manually placing in 1st it will not shift into second when manually upshifting it myself to the second gear position at Any speed 1mph-46mph. Just stays in first until I bring it into the neutral position and then down into the OD position and giving the engine just enough time for RPM's to slightly drop and then the trans will grab second gear but sometimes 3rd gear and just seems to skip 2nd once in awhile I'm guessing due to vehicle speed. Also along with my upahift problem when I down shift I can feel from OD to D and from D to 2nd but from D to 2nd it has about a 3 to 5 second delay before it reacts and grabs the 2nd gear. From 2nd to 1st gear down shifts I feel absolutely nothing at all besides the feeling like it actually releases out of gear into neutral position while coming to a costing or braking stop. After the car comes to a complete stop and without moving the shifter I can leave the light/stop sign and the car will actually start off in the 1st gear. Before the rebuild, I used to be able to feel the strong downshift between ever gear but now nothing going into first and all the rest are soft along with the bad delay from D to 2nd.

One more thing, when I keep the car in OD position the car will only upahift somewhat normal at very slow gradual speed with low engine RPM. I do notice though when the transmission is engaged in whichever gear it may be in, it surely feels like it's gully engaged and not slipping.

Please help me, All replies to my matter will be greatly appreciated. I also hope to make good friends here and I am more than willing to help anyone with problems too. If I can help I most definitely will. Sorry if I'm over explaining to much lol

Old 05-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:30 AM

Thank you. I appreciate the greeting.