Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

89 c4 automatic shift light on dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Default 89 c4 automatic shift light on dash

Ihave a 89 auto vette, and i noticed it has a shift up light on the dash, but it has never worked. I noticed when i plugged in the scanner it lights up, so i know that the bulb works. I have a friend that has a manuel car that will light up when it's time to shift. Does the automatic's have this too, or it just a universal dash? If it does come in automatic's, does anyone know why it could possibly be not working?[/align]

Old 06-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Default RE: 89 c4 automatic shift light on dash

I dont understand why there is a shiftlight on the automatics. Im guesing like you that its universal. Mine blinks on then it changes gears automatically. I wish someone knew the answer because I am very interested in this quiestion as well. Doesn't make any sense to me...Hmm.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: c4383

Ihave a 89 auto vette, and i noticed it has a shift up light on the dash, but it has never worked. I noticed when i plugged in the scanner it lights up, so i know that the bulb works. I have a friend that has a manuel car that will light up when it's time to shift. Does the automatic's have this too, or it just a universal dash? If it does come in automatic's, does anyone know why it could possibly be not working?[/align]
Didyour car have a stick from the factory?

Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 PM

it's an automatic car from the factory. It will say something like shift up from 4th... i was just wondering what activates it, cause it is a different light than a 4 speed

Old 06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
cwb

it's an automatic car from the factory. It will say something like shift up from 4th... i was just wondering what activates it, cause it is a different light than a 4 speed

So you DO have aftermarket drive train/ECM. That's what I thought.

Can you explain again exactly what you've got - your signature line info just shed a few more clouds on the darkness.[sm=smiley22.gif][sm=repost.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

So you DO have aftermarket drive train/ECM. That's what I thought.

Can you explain again exactly what you've got - your signature line info just shed a few more clouds on the darkness.[sm=smiley22.gif][sm=repost.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=chairshot.gif]
The ECM is stock... I have a TPIS chip. The tranny... reason i said it was beefed up, was cause i spent 2000 in billet parts alone, but still a 700r4 in stock form. I'm just wondering what activates the light to kick on.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 AM

If you have a automatic, like mine, it will come on if you leave your car in Drive instead of Overdrive for an extended period and the computer deems it not necessary. Mine will come if I leave my car in Drive if I am on the interstate. The next time you are on the highway or somewhere where you can maintain 55 or 60 mph leave it in drive, the light should come on. It is there to remind you that you are not getting the best gas mileage that you could be getting. I remember on my Dad's 88' Z51 car it did the same thing, and it was aautomatic.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: red90vettesc

If you have a automatic, like mine, it will come on if you leave your car in Drive instead of Overdrive for an extended period and the computer deems it not necessary. Mine will come if I leave my car in Drive if I am on the interstate. The next time you are on the highway or somewhere where you can maintain 55 or 60 mph leave it in drive, the light should come on. It is there to remind you that you are not getting the best gas mileage that you could be getting. I remember on my Dad's 88' Z51 car it did the same thing, and it was aautomatic.
You're right about the computer and high rev's for an extended time cue'ing up the shift light.

What throws me is he says he's got a '98 motor (LS1?), and the original computer...

Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 PM

I think that there is a possibility that the CCM not the ECM trips the light, would be interesting to know which one causes the light to come on. Maybe Mech will read this thread and tell us. I didn't read anywhere above about the LS1 part. I would love to have one in my car though!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:31 PM

It's a 98 block, full roller out of a vortec truck with a 4 bolt main.... very rare. (With the plastic timing chain cover).
Thanks.

Quick Reply: 89 c4 automatic shift light on dash