Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

95 Vette won't start (VATS)

Old 04-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Cool 95 Vette won't start (VATS)

Ok, my 95 won't start. No turn over, no starter. Checked the resistance on keys and ordered a by-pass resister. Car started right up. But, alas, I had a "sys" showing. Let the car run for awhile then went back to take if for a drive and same no start situation. I pulled the codes and all I got was "C-12" no codes stored. Well, for giggles I put the ignition back on line and same results, no run. I checked the resistance on the resister and found it (again) to be what I ordered. I did the oval key in the door (as per the shop manual) nothing. Anyone have any ideas on where to look now. Oh, I have checked the wires for loose or disconnected wiring nothing there..Help
Thanks
Ken

Old 04-10-2017, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully someone here can lend a hand.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:18 PM

The FSM is your friend here. Unfortunately mine is older and has a different setup. Being you say there's no codes set, this is where I'd start.

If it's a stick, are you depressing the clutch while trying to start?
I'd start with things like the battery - charged up? When the door is opened, does the Sys light come on and go off when closed? Accessories work?
Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when the key is turned on? Does the injectors have signal or not?
If a manual, jumper the clutch switch temporarily to see if that's the cause. If it's an automatic, I know there's a switch but not where it's at. Maybe try shifting into neutral and wiggle the shifter as the switch might be out of adjustment.
If all seems good, I'd try a remove starter and see if the engine turns over or not.
After that you'll need the FSM to go forward from there. Sorry.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Well, thanks for getting back to me. It is an automatic. Have tried neutral and jiggling the shifter. New battery and up to 14.5 volts. Can't find any loose wires. Have checked all the fuses, even the ones under the hood, even though they don't have anything to do with the vats system. I have the chevy corvette shop manual and have tried all of the easy stuff, moving on to the harder stuff

Old 04-23-2017, 03:21 PM

Well, darn, it still won't start, the PKE will unlock and lock the car, walk away the car locks and horn sounds. Its really unnerving

Old 04-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Well, I don't have any grey hair, but I think I'm getting some. I have checked the #26 and 40 fuses, all good. Checked wiring under dash, all seems good. Just curious, I have a 6 pin connecter by the obd connector. My FSM doesn't show it. Any ideas?

Search this Thread