Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Advice - possibly buying an 84 vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Default Advice - possibly buying an 84 vette

This could also go in the noob thread but I figured like anything else it would be a better idea to post more directly.

I'm considering buying an 84 vette I found on craigslist, I'm going tuesday after college to check it out, asking $3500 as it does need work, (and like most says he's in financial trouble).

Background on me:

I'm 18, in college in NJ.Before you throw up the red flag let me give some info.

When I was about 14 my uncle promised me he'd sell me his auto white 88 Vette for $8,000 when I turned of age and got a job. Unfortunatly I fell in love with the car and he ended up selling it out from under me as I had been about halfway saved for it. He traded it and some cash for a 70 Nova drag car, of which, is understandable I guess

I ended up then buying a dodge stealth as a project car, was about a year and a half of work before I could even drive it. Basicaly it came with less than half an interior and a blown motor. 85% of it was all my doing as far as work and money put into it. I get nagged on saying mommy and daddy paid for it all when they contributed very minimaly. Minus paint and actualy installing the motor it was entirely done in my driveway with hand tools. I'm incredibly proud of my build and I'm looking into a new project, why? because any new projects on the Stealth/3000GT will end uphaving down time I cant afford as well as I'm still head over heels in love with that first vette when I was young.

heres before/during
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=4acf6dad.flv

and after

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...Rbhp/epic5.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...Rbhp/epic2.jpg

So I'm already familiar with the money pit aspect of it all =P

I also owned a 1986 Peugeot 505 Turbo as a project car a few weeks ago but I sold it due to the fact it was way more work than it was worth, Just to get it running would be at least 5x the cost of buying one in decent shape.

Now notes on the car:

-99% positive it's not the original paint (going to have a friend with unlimited carfax run it for me) its a deep metallic red
-interior is red and the seats are in pretty bad shape, I've done alot of interior work so it shouldn't be a huge issue, possibly swapping in some leather seats from a stealth since they're godly comfortable
-body seems to have no damage from the pictures but only being there will confirm that
-aftermarket wheels, nothing really special though
-Manual trans - a MUST

Known Problems?
-Clutch pedal goes to the floor and sticks - either the master or slave cylinder of which is going to prevent a test drive.

With the few notes listed, what is the car really worth? He says he's had several people interested but no buyers (claims no one has cash which I can voutch for myself, lol) so I'm sure I could talk him down a little bit.

Before anyone rags on me for being too young, this is a project split between my father and I. I understand Vette's are pricey, thats a given, and I can take responsibility for a project. My intentions are to restore it into a fun daily driver. Yes of course I'll be modding it for power as well but I'm not looking to break land speed records. Bolt on goodies are gods gift to man.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 AM
cwb
Default RE: Advice - possibly buying an 84 vette

ORIGINAL: ESDodgeStealth93

Known Problems?
-Clutch pedal goes to the floor and sticks - either the master or slave cylinder of which is going to prevent a test drive.

$3500?

No test drive? Red flag. If it has a brand new motor with receipts, $2k TOPS.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 PM

You are buying one of the least if not THE least desirable of all the C4 Corvettes. Crossfire injection. I would look for at least an 85 or newer. Get a TPI car to tinker with. You probably won't be real happy with the horsepower numbers on a crossfire. We are talking 205 horsepower.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM

I'm still going to give the car a look, I'm sure I can probably get it REAL cheap. The biggest selling feature is that it's a manual trans and every carI look at for a potential project is always auto.

Is there a reasonable way to swap parts with a newer C4 to do away with the slow crossfire injection?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Unless its free walk away. The money you will dump into the project will most likely never come close to a break even. If you still look at the car make sure the overdrive still works or you will be sorry. GOOD LUCK.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:46 PM

I'll take everything into consideration, going with my friend at 4:30 to see it reguardless, I dont have intentions to buy this one neccesarily but its always good to have models to choose from. I'd really like to buy one I can actualy drive home however I'm stuggling to find a manual trans as everyone I find listed localy is autotragic

Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
cwb

Lee; who are you in the guru?

You see how many folks are showin' up in guru, banned from CF???

They just changed mine from 6 months, to permanent. [&:][&:][&:] Don't ask; I got NO clue.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: cwb

Lee; who are you in the guru?

You see how many folks are showin' up in guru, banned from CF???

They just changed mine from 6 months, to permanent. [&:][&:][&:] Don't ask; I got NO clue.
theangelofdeath

I think I know why you got the permaban. That second account probably did it.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:11 PM

I tend to agree with Lee...the '84 and the Cross-Fire were nightmares,and still are.There must be an '85 or later model near you that at least you can DRIVE around before you buy...at least if it runs,that is half the battle.You can find a good '85 to '88 for around 7 to 8 thousand,depending on condition,mileage,and how much you're willing to spend.And they would make better project cars than the '84,especially where bolt-on parts are concerned....the L-98 is very responsive to a few well-chosen parts.And like you said,you don't want to break speed records,just have a fun daily driver to improve as you go along...wish you luck...your friend,Joe.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:29 PM

I guess I wont bother looking at it then if its a definate that I'm not buying. Unless he offers it to me for something rediculous like $500 bucks I'll just pass.

I notice the interiors on almost all older C4 corvettes are pretty tattered, is that abuse or just the nature?

In a vette I'm looking for a manual and a red interior

Quick Reply: Advice - possibly buying an 84 vette