Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

AH LA PROBLEMO

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Default AH LA PROBLEMO

Well once again a problem has occurred with the 84. Just to fill everyone in it is an 84 with a 330 crate engine, however we kept the crossfire. On to the problem: I had been going out and starting the vette and pulling it in the driveway to let it idle since it hadn't been being used during the winter months, and about after 15 minutes of idling it would sputter, bog down and stall. I have been driving it more and more now that the nice weather has made its way north. When I am driving it and when i press the accelerator it kinda falls on its face if you know what I mean. It is like it either is clogged somewhere and either can't suck any air into the intake, or there is a fuel problem. I really don't know much seeing as how I started out with a Honda and learned more about imports than the classic GMs. If anyone has ideas point me in that direction. I have already looked into EGR valve and didn't see a problem, and my next guess is a clogged catalytic converter. I shall look into that in the next few days. Thx to anyone in advance.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Default RE: AH LA PROBLEMO

sounds like a fuel problem to me. check the fuel pressure on the rail. it wouldnt hurt to change the fuel filter too since they cost $5-10 and take 10 mintues to replace. Any codes being thrown? Let me know what happens when you check the fuel system and we can go from there

Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 PM

Thx for the insight. However I must ask where is the fuel filter located. I have to believe that the fuel filter is a good chance where the problem lies. The car sat for quite some time before starting back up for driving purposes. I am pretty sure that the fuel line runs down the driver side of the car. Correct me if I am wrong. Thx again for all help.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:15 AM

On my 86, the fuel lines run down the passenger side. The fuel filter is located underneath the passenger footwell along the chassis. I would doubt that its any different on your '84. Make sure you relieve the fuel pressure before you remove the old filter.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 PM

great call on the fuel filter raisinbran sir! $8.15 and 10 minutes of my time equals no more running rough and stalling. now i just need to figure out why the vette isn't putting down the power it used to and all will be good. i'm thinking toque converter will be my next task to turn this bad boy back into the beast it is. thx again for all you insight.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:16 PM

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-02-2006, 07:43 PM

well i guess i was a little too anxious, but my same problem still occurs. it ran pretty good right after the fuel filter install, but the next day it was back to the same. so i'm thinking maybe fuel pump now since it wasnt the fuel filter causing this sputtering, bogging, not wanting to go, stall out bull. injectors seem fine. i dunno, any other insight? thx

Old 05-03-2006, 01:57 AM

yea that could definately be it too. is there any way you can get a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure? that would be the easiest way to tell. but it does not take that much effort to pull out the fuel pump and take a look. see if the strainer is still intact, and not clogged up. you could also do a fuel flow test...im not sure on the specifics of that test, but it will let you know how ur pump is working as well. is the pump louder than normal? thats what happened when mine was going out

Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM

I have been looking, but I can not find the fuel pump. So......where is it at? Doesn't sound like too tough of a job, I will be attempting as soon as I find the pump. Thx.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:22 AM

Its inside the fuel tank. you acces it by removing the little rubber covering around the fuel filler, detach the hoses and wires, unscrew the bolts, and take the whole filler assembly out. i may have missed some steps but you can figure it out.. make sure you disconnect the neg battery cable beforehand. go to autozone and buy the haynes manual for $25. its not as good as the FSM, but it is great for little jobs like that.