Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

air duct problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Default air duct problem

96 coupe: has anyone had the air going to the defrost when turning on the a/c. after a long while the air comes out of the vent ducts like it should? what is causing the air to delay such a long time?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
cwb
Default RE: air duct problem

Welcome to the forums there...

How 'bout if the vehicle is TOTALLY warm, and THEN you turn on the air? Try that next time you motor up.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 PM

warm or cold same thing. i can be driving on the road for a long timetill it operates normal. i stop at a store turn the car off, get back in go about my way back home and still no air through the vent ducts for a long time and then slowly the air starts to come out normaly through the vent ducts like it should. what operates the duct doors behind the dash?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Does your car have ATC (Automatic Temp Control)? Sounds likeyour mode actuator is leaking vacuum or is lazy.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:02 AM

no ATC

Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 PM
cwb

How 'bout the volume of air before and after the 'correction'...

When it is coming out of the defroster ducts, is it a LOT of air (fan on high)? Is it hot? Is any coming at all out of the dash ducts?

When it switches, do you hear a duct door close? Can you then make it go back to the defroster ducts with the defrost switch?

If you can make it go back to the defroster duct with the defrost switch, what happens then when you switch it back to the dash? Does it take a long time again, or is it right away?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 PM

volume of air is correct for the switch setting (speed)
the air coming out of the defrost at time when i turn the a/c on is according to the temperature, no problem with speed setting
the air is not comming out the dash ducts yet till a few minutes later
no noise when it swiches, when i switch it back to defrost and then back to dash vents it still takes awhile to blow out the dash vents. what mechanism moves the duct gate. is it electrical? a co worker has a chev. truck and his duct gate operates electricly. i always thought it was vacumn till he showed me different. do you think it is the same

Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 PM

You have a '96 too,huh?? Well,I've been fortunate to not have this problem,but I really hope you get this resolved.A few of us here at the forum will help you,even if it's not me.....just let me know what you find to fix it,will ya?? I might have the same problem some day(mine has almost 114,000 trouble-free miles),maybe you can give me and the rest of us a good fix-it tip!! Welcome to the forum! A friend,Joe.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:38 PM

well joe you are one of the fortunate ones. if i find a fix i'll post it. as you may look in the forum i have 2 issues. the air duct and a battery drain. the battery drain is a more problem though. thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Have you checked the vacumn valveunder the pass/side fuel cover. Just a thought..........

Quick Reply: air duct problem