Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Default Alternator

I'm in the process of purchasing a new alternator.

Would really love the crome jobbers

Anyways, STUPID question: What size do I need for an '87 Vette (60, 80, 100 or 120)???

I always thought that the higher amp ones were needed if you had a high power sound system or something like that.

Help...

Old 07-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Default RE: Alternator

Hello,
Try and find out what came OEM from GM. I would suggest the same amperage or slightly higher if you have aftermarket accessories. Even though Advance and Autozone have lifetime warranties on their products, I would buy a new versus rebuilt if you can afford it. Over the past few years I have purchased the "remanufactured" units and had to use the warranty too many times.

CG

Old 07-15-2007, 07:29 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz

I'm in the process of purchasing a new alternator.

Would really love the crome jobbers

Anyways, STUPID question: What size do I need for an '87 Vette (60, 80, 100 or 120)???

I always thought that the higher amp ones were needed if you had a high power sound system or something like that.

Help...
I put a premium remanufactured on my '87 - $55. Lasted 4 years, till I sold the box.

65 amps I think is spec. Headlights and high beams, brakelights, blower on high, is around 50 amps. Toss in other STOCK electric stuff, and if it's a continuous draw, the battery will still get it's share for re-charge.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 PM

Advanced Auto or Autozone (one of them) told me earlier that mine was 105amp.

So much for the chrome jobbers with the "bowtie" emblem. I ended up going with polished something or other because the really NICE ones were one wire only. At least this one is brand new...

Not fair[:@]

Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz

Advanced Auto or Autozone (one of them) told me earlier that mine was 105amp.

So much for the chrome jobbers with the "bowtie" emblem. I ended up going with polished something or other because the really NICE ones were one wire only. At least this one is brand new...

Not fair[:@]
I don't think that's right - 105, that is. (and you can buy all the autozone you want - I got intere$t in them.) Their knowledge is only as good as some database.

Get a 5th opinion...

Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM

The bigger the better from a standpoint of longevity. A higher output alternator will run cooler at any given load. I'd also recommend avoiding chrome. Chrome retains heat and heat is your alternator's worst enemy. Polish it instead. I've polished nearly every aluminum part on my car, not to a super sheen but smooth. It looks good and makes it so much easier to keep clean. I'd go at least one step up on alternator capacity from stock. The early C4s were marginal in this area.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:58 PM

O.K. I think I took everyone's advice.

I checked and cwb was right about the 60amp stock.

I went two steps higher with a 100amp.

Notorious was dead on with the chrome/heat thing. I wasn't thinking. Went ahead with polished.

Once again, this forum has saved me money/time/frustration[sm=groupwave.gif]

I strongly recommend people contributing[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Notorious

The bigger the better from a standpoint of longevity. A higher output alternator will run cooler at any given load. I'd also recommend avoiding chrome. Chrome retains heat and heat is your alternator's worst enemy. Polish it instead. I've polished nearly every aluminum part on my car, not to a super sheen but smooth. It looks good and makes it so much easier to keep clean. I'd go at least one step up on alternator capacity from stock. The early C4s were marginal in this area.
How 'bout some pics[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 PM

This is mine after I polished it .

Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM

Well I guess I messed up the photo again.Just go look at my pics.

Quick Reply: Alternator