Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Battery Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Default RE: Battery Light

Well, no change with the car starting on a charger. Maybe gained a volt or two. Battery lights stays on although when I unplug the connector with the three wires on it the light goes out. Might I have a bad alternator again. Just seems wierd that all the things that happened before are happening again. I'm thinking something else is wrong.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Bagpipin' Wish I knew more about this particular system so I could help.

Never give up your dream. anything that can break can be fixed. hang in there.

Also, You have my respect and best wishes for being a firefighter. very honorable ocupation.
Big Cheers for you, Thanks for choosing that job. Stay safe.
I was a volenteer when I was just a snot nosed kid.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 AM

OK I just replaced a fuseable wire and it didn't correct my problem although I'm sure that I fixed some other issue that I had. My battery light is STILL on. Took it for a ride and the voltage gauge on the instrument panel is about 10-11 volts and when at a light and the directional on it slightly flickers. Before this the gauge would hover around 13 and shoot to maybe 14-15 when drivinng. The battery was at 13.2 when I left and when I got back was at 12.2. Does anyone think that the rebuild starter I put in was a bum one? I must say that it starts with no problems now. HELP!

Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, stay away from Autozone type alternators [] We use strictly A/C Delco remanned alternators for most all cars, even Fords and Dodges. I have had the best luck with those. Those cheap brands of alternators use cheap rectifiers, brushes, etc. 10 -11 volts mean no charge, should have at least 13.5 v will engine is idleing. Also, have your battery load checked as a bad battery will knock out a new alternator. Bad batteries make your alternator charge 50 -70 amps @ idle and they are NOT made to do that. Another thing, if your battery is good, make sure and charge your battery for a good hour at 15 to 20 amps before cranking car. Alternators are not made to charge dead batteries, they are made to maintain a charge. Hope this is some helpful info for you. [8D]

Old 08-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Mech259, the rebuild was from Consumer Auto so I may have gone wrong there. I'm pretty sure that it's doing 10-11 volts. The green led on the battery doesnt glow so yup I think the battery has been fried although new this spring. I'll get a load check on it tonight. As far as charging I had it on all night so I think between the Consumer alternator and the tired battery you have pin pointed my problem. Tossed and turned last night at the station thinking about it so tonight I'll spend some time with it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again...

Old 08-10-2006, 01:35 AM

My baby is fixed..... Had the alternator checked last night as well as the battery. The battery check out fine and the alternator indicated 0 on the stator volts. Not sure what that means but I got a replacement and installed it this afternoon. Took her for a ride on this sunny day and shes doing well. The guage reads 14 volts at a stop light and climbs a bit when cruising down the road. Mech259 once again thanks and if she acts up again ac delco it will be. My vette and I are bonding and I wonder what adventure she's taking me on next. I can say though when I purchase a brand new vette in a couple of years someone will end up buying mine and getting one hell of a vette. Blueshark, Superdzzz, TopSpeed thanks as well.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:02 AM

d93vette thanks as well

Old 08-10-2006, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Bagpipingjake

My baby is fixed..... Had the alternator checked last night as well as the battery. The battery check out fine and the alternator indicated 0 on the stator volts. Not sure what that means but I got a replacement and installed it this afternoon. Took her for a ride on this sunny day and shes doing well. The guage reads 14 volts at a stop light and climbs a bit when cruising down the road. Mech259 once again thanks and if she acts up again ac delco it will be. My vette and I are bonding and I wonder what adventure she's taking me on next. I can say though when I purchase a brand new vette in a couple of years someone will end up buying mine and getting one hell of a vette. Blueshark, Superdzzz, TopSpeed thanks as well.
Glad to hear you're rollin' again, dude! Yeh, I cannot tell you how much trouble I personally have had with aftermarket alternators before... one of 'em even started an expensive fire under the hood of my ol' Mustang GT...[:@]