Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Brake Job...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Default Brake Job...

I did a brake job on my '92 convertible today, typically this is not worth a post, but from what I could see this was the first time the pads and rotors have been replaced since the vehicle was new! The vehicle has 95k on it. If the pads were changed at some point they must have been changed with identical factory parts because all the pads had the PBR inscription on them, which told me they were the original factory pads. I find it amazing that the system looked as good as it did after that many miles. Of course now, it brakes and feels as if new.

I was going to go with slotted rotors, but after doing some research, I decided to go with standard rotors despite all the hoopla regarding slotted rotors. As far as I am concerned, the standard rotors stop great, although they do not look as cool as slotted ones. In addition, I took off the master cylinder and cleaned it the best I could (there was some residue in it that could not be fully cleaned out) and reassembled and flushed the entire system. Pedal is nice and firm.

Before I did the brake job, there was a "clunking sound" coming from the left rear wheel area when I made a slow left turn. I thought it might be brake related and was hoping it was not the rear wheel bearing. Well, it must have been the brake pads because now the noise is gone. While I had the car jacked up, I grab the rear tire (still mounted on the car) and checked up/down and side to side play in the bearing and it is/was tight.

CG

Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brake Job...

Where the anti rattle clips on the old pads? Might be why they were making noise. [8D]