Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Brake pad swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:05 AM
Default Brake pad swap

Im getting ready to swap the brake pads on my 86. My braking is horrible, as i use downshifting ALOT to help slow down. The car has 80k miles on it, and im sure the brakes have never been done before.

Im going with o'reilly thermoquiets, because im a poor college student, and ive actually heard good things about them. Maybe they will atleast last me through collegewhen i can afford the good pads.

So my question iswhat othermaterials will i need, besides brake fluid. willi need anyglue, etc? the manual makes it sound really easy, almost like the just snap in.any advice would be great. Also, i took a glance at the rotors, they seem tohave someshallow grooves running around them (i dont think the pads have been grinding yet) should i get them turned or will i be fine using them as is?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Brake pad swap

You should have the rotors turned, and lube the slides on your calipers with anti-sieze. We use permatex brand.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:41 PM

Definately, get those rotors turned, my friend... my mechanic once told me if you don't, you'll wear out your new pads prematurely. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2007, 07:25 PM

Poor too. Are you saying your actual brake pads are going to last you thru atleast 2 years of college??? Go get 25.00 dollar ones from autozone. Napas rotors are 15 dollars for the good set a piece and 10 for the lower class set a piece....Not that expensive. Actually its really easy. Everytime I get brake parts they always make me buy that anti-seize **** and it dont do nothing. Waste of money and time IMO....Dont waste the $$ on it. Its only like a dollar a pack but still that dollar may come in handy one day....

Old 02-04-2007, 03:13 AM

I know I'm new on here but here's a little story for you; I bought a set of ZR1 copycat rims for my '87 after the big rebuild.Stuck some yokohamas on there and suffered a year of front end imbalance and shimmy that proved impossible to get rid of and I tell you the Japs and the Chinese were not on my xmas list.Anyway the car was running so well ,although I had renewed the whole brake system, I couldn't stop it so I upgraded to$$$.Lo and behold,no shimmy. Just for fun I took the now slightly usedrotors that I had bought from napa and just replaced and put them on the balancer-unbelievable how badly they were cast-and proudly stamped ' made in canada'.
I can't remember how many of those things I've replaced but from now on I will spin them up before they go on a car.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:22 AM

Raisinbran,forgot to mention if your brakes are really bad as mine were with the age consideration there's a chance your hoses are deteriorating.My rears were so bad I virtually only had front wheel brakes!

Old 02-04-2007, 06:10 AM

lol i have virtually no brakes. if i had to stop fast in an emergency situation id be screwed. i leave lots of room between the car infront of me.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Wagner makes good brake pads and if were me, use ceramic pads, as they don't create near the brake dust as conventional pads do. Make sure and have your rotors mic'd before turning to see if there is enough meat on them. Not within spec will cause them to warp prematurely under the stress. [8D]

Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Saw your a poor college student eh? I am soon to be one....If need some spare parts send me a pm and I might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction....

Old 02-04-2007, 01:46 PM

Oh yea. The ceramic pads wear out your rotors faster though. Brake dust is there but very fine its hard to see. They are expensive though.

Quick Reply: Brake pad swap