Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Default a/c problems

Here is an interesting issue- When I got my vette a few months ago the ac didn't work. I took it to the shop I work at, plugged the a/c machine up, low and behold- no r134. replaced the high side port, charged her back up, and has been blowing cold since. Today when I got in it to go home all it would blow was hot air. I'm pretty sure the compressor was kicking on, but no breath!!! I stopped at the store for a few minutes, came back out, turned it on and COLD air!! It has the automatic air. I think the compressor was kicking on but maybe not the fan.... Will it work at all without the condensor fan?
Richard

Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: a/c problems

Fan is possible, but I would check the cycling switch on the accumulator. Also, does the compressor have a high pressure cut ou switch in the back? If the cooling fan were not working, it would overheat. The condenser fan in front helps in stop and go driving. What pressure readings do you have? If the head pressure is too high, you will most likely hear the compressor kickin on and off by means of a high pressure cut out.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the advice! I'll check i out tomorrow
Richard

Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 PM

You would get some cooling without the condenser fan running as long as the compressor and the evaporator (heater) fan are running, although the compressor would most likely cycle on and off on the high pressure switch, you would feel the air temp cycle from cold to moderate then back to cold and so on. You said you replaced the high side "port", do you mean the schrader valve in the port? They can be the cause of lost refrigerant but I would suspect other leaks as well.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 PM

Yes, the schrader, and I figure it's got a leak somewhere else, i put dye in it and if it leaks i'll find it. the strange thing is that it blew hot right after i started the car, i kept it on for a few miles too. It was after I restarted the car that it started working normally again, so I'm goiing to check the head pressure and see where that leads By the way, after market schraders on the high side won't seal unless you use 2 orings, so I'm going to have to replace the whole line anyway- only 50 bucks though, I bought this car not too long ago, and with 100k on it I'm replacing stuff every other day, The power seering has been in and out latley so I am putting a pump on it tomorrow. I love the car though!!!
Richard