Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

C4 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Default RE: C4 Forum

ORIGINAL: mech259

Where did you get your die casts? I've got pretty good collection too, but not that much. Mine consists more of older Chevy iron. I'm building my full size Chevy collection and Corvette's. I am interested in the COPO.
I got mine from eBay a few years ago... had a little extra money lying aroun', and really needed somethin' to spruce up my condo with... a shrine to the mighty '69 seemed like a good idea at the time.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Haha, i am still working on that right now. I am assuming that they are the reason i am considering just buying a whole new motor and then when i take the current motor out, just get a TRUSTED mechanic to work on it and then put the 350 in something else. Just buy an old car or something and beef up the 350 a bit more to put it in there.

I am still waiting for raisins reply because for some reason i have just always thought a carb. motor was more powerful. If there are good reasons for me not to get a carb. motor, can someone inform me please because i dont want to go about this the wrong way and waste my money if im not going to be happy. Thanks guys
Well, I ain't no expert, that's for sure, Matt, but... FI is far more efficient, and thus I believe, has the ability to deliver more power than a carb setup. But, like you said, the carb is *simpler* to work on and has less things that could go wrong. It all depends on your preferences in my books.. but yeh, let's see what the guys who know about this have to say....

Old 09-06-2006, 05:09 PM

OK HEAR WE GO.... I LIKE THE CARB SET UP BETTER.BUT FUEL INJECTION IS MORE EFFICIENT THER IS NO GETTING AROUND THAT. BOTH SET UPS CAN MAKE WICKED POWER. I LIKE THE SIMPLE ROUTE CARB, BUT WHEN YOU RUN A CARB YOU GET MORE OPTIONS OF TUNE UP,AND MOST OF THE TIME YOU CAN DO IT IN YOUR GARAGE, I MUST SAY WITH A COMPUTER CAR THERE ARE LIMITS, WITH A CARBED CAR THER IS NO END TO LIMITS. I HAVE HAD BOTH SETUPS AND I LIKE THE CARB SET UP BETTER ,IT COULD BE BECAUSE I AM OLD SCHOOL,BUT LET ME TELL YOU I HAVE NEVER BEAN BEATING IN MY NOVA BUY A FUEL INJECTED ENGINE ,BUT HAVE BEAN BEAT BY A CARBED ENGINE.IF YOU LIKE BIG COMPRESSION LIKE 11 TO 1 AND UP THE CARB IS THE WAY TO GO.I NO YOU YUNGER GUYS LIKE FUEL INJECTION, SUPERCHARGERS ,TURBOS ECT. FOR THE STREET I WOULD GO FUELINJECTION ,,,FOR THE TRACK I WOULD GO CARB 14 TO 1 COMP 700 INCH LIFT. A BIG 1150 DOMINATOR AND SOME KILLER HEADS AND 510 GEARS AND NO ONE IS TOUCHING YOU. BUT THAT IS AT THE STRIP AND REMEMBER THIS MORE COMPRESSION MEANS RACE GAS 8.50 A GALLON ....... NOW .FUEL INJECTION.AND SOME LOW COMPRESSION AND A SUPERCHARGER YOUR KILLING THEM ON THE STREET AND USING PUMP GAS LIKE 89 OCTANE OR 93 OCTANE ......I HOPE I SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS I NO LEE WILL HAVE SOME INPUT TO SINCE HE DRAG RACES TO,

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/7C6085B6E20641599832B42B2260465A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Great post king! I do agree... many many moons ago, I went to get me a Z/28... love the IROC from the mid eighties... I did some research and then went out to find an 86 because they were the last year of the carb... that car was so simple to maintain it was funny, and it was a blast to drive.

I can't wait to hear what Lee and others think on topic.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:33 AM

I do so ever LOVE that post Richard. I completely agree. Carbed engines were much easier for people to work on in their garages and everything. Now, to get anything done to a FI motor, you have to fork out thousands. Not to say that you wont fork out thousands working on a carbed motor too, but atleast you can do some of that yourself. But, you guys do bring up valid points. There have been many advancements in FI motors and i am sure they can put out just as much power as the carbed ones. And, i am sure FI is more efficient. So maybe you guys might have changed my mind. But if i do get a new engine like the 475hp 383, it wont be a daily driver anyway. Does a carb change the sound of the motor any from it being FI? if someone could answer that, it would be great. Thanks guys!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:55 AM

THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION IS NO... THERE IS NO SOUND VERYANT, THEY BOTH SOUND THE SAME, HEADERS AND MUFFLERS MAKE THE NOISE. DONT GET ME WRONG WHEN YOU FULL THROTTLE THE CARB AND THE SECONDARYS COME IN YOU WILL GET A SUCKING SOUND BECAUSE THAT BEAST IS TAKING IN AIR BIGTIME.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 AM

camshafts can change the sound of the engine. people with carb setups generally choose a wilder cam (since they're usually not for street use) and the LSA and duration give it that 60s muscle car sound.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:41 AM

A HIGH LIFT CAM WILL CHANGE THE SOUND IN A CARB OR INJECTION,ENGINE.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Lots of factors in a cam spec cause engines to cut up. When you hear a engine with a radical idle, it is mostly caused by lobe seperation on your intake and exhaust lobes of the cam. The exhaust valve is not all the way closed when the intake valve is opening, hence the rough idle and low engine vacuum. Therefore, there are several factors to look at when choosing a cam, lift, duration, lobe separation. The more radical the cam with an automatic trans, you will need to use a higher stall converter. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. Good Luck.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 PM

God... a lumpy cam is the sweetest sound in the world. I actually bought a car once before I even drove it.. because of the motor in the thing.... ooof. [8D]

My wife always used to say, "That thing sounds like it's running very rough. Must need work."

Me, "No baby, that's the sound of holy sweetness and the God's of power."

Quick Reply: C4 Forum