Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

C4 Horrible Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Default C4 Horrible Problem

Hey guys, I am running out of ideas here on my 1993 Corvette. This is a long story so buckle your seat belts...
As i stated, it is a 1993 corvette and just started acting up a week ago. As I was driving on the freeway, it completely died. I had to coast to get to the right side of the freeway. I tried starting it and it would not start. The radio and lights still worked so it was not the battery. I called AAA and they towed me to my mechanic. He looked at it and right away it started. This was just crazy because it just died on the freeway. So they could not diagnose it because it was running fine. This is where the story gets interesting...
Two days later, I was driving on the freeway once again and it died. Instead of calling AAA, I waited about 20 minutes and it started right up. This was odd once again and I know something is wrong because cars should not just die on the road. Then, yesterday and today in the morning, it would not start around 9am, and then 20 minutes later it started up. But today it died again on the road and started up 20 minutes later. So during all of this I took it to a Chevrolet dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it because it ran for them. I noticed today for the first time however, that next to the fuel gauge it would flash SYS. It flashed SYS 3 times and then was blank for 10ish seconds, then flashed SYS again. I am sure this has something to do with the problem...Also I researched about SYS and it seems it may be a problem with a CCM controlled system?

I know this story is long but I am just curious if anyone has heard of this problem occurring with corvettes. I really would appreciate any insight towards this problem

Thank you, Will

Old 09-23-2009, 01:44 PM

I know you said it's not the battery but most of the time, when you get a SYS message, it's the battery or the alternator. The only thing is that the other symptoms you have do not point to that conclusion. How many miles are on the car and how many miles or how old is the Opti? Has the engine been wet? Does it sputter at all? BTW, if it is the CCM or ECM then you will probably have a hard time finding a replacement. Especially the ECM.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Also, if it's the Opti then I have a new, still in the box MSD unit I might would sell for a fair price.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:58 PM

The car has about 110,000 miles and the engine has not been wet. We just replaced the ignition controller and the coil was burnt so we got that replaced. It has been two days since it was fixed and just this morning the car did it again. Except this time the car did not even click when I turned the key...it did nothing and acted like it was dead. However, the radio and lights were working. Then we towed it to the mechanic again and without fail it started right up.
The problem I'm having is that it will not show the problem once it is at the mechanic. Therefore it is hard for them to determine what the problem is if it is running. So at this point I am getting very frustrated because it seems like the car will not start about every 2-3 days, but if u wait 20 minutes then it starts right up

Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 PM

Is the car warm or hot when it does this?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Will,
I had a similar problem with my 84,except after a few times dying and restarting it wouldn't start until I changed the ECM. Your problem sounds more to me like a fusible link. Just above the starter there are several of them,in your case I would redo them all,not too spendy and a real bear to deal with when intermittent? Good Luck!
Ron

Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Default problem

I doubt if it's a fuseible link. If a fuseible blows it's shot. they're inline fuses not circut breakers that can be reset

Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Hy guys...funny....I have the same intermittent problem with my '96....it seems to be the ccm,which if it really is the cause,the wonderful thing is that GM has discontinued this item.It must be located at a used Corvette parts location.Keep me posted on this,will ya?? hope we both get to the bottom if this...a friend,Joe

Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Take your battery out and have it tested at the auto parts store. Sounds like you have lost some cranking amps. Have you tried starting it right away with a jump after it dies? If you can jump it it definately is a battery problem. This happened to me in my 72. Won't hurt to try it.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by watwheel
Take your battery out and have it tested at the auto parts store. Sounds like you have lost some cranking amps. Have you tried starting it right away with a jump after it dies? If you can jump it it definately is a battery problem. This happened to me in my 72. Won't hurt to try it.
the sys flashing is a problem in the ccm

Quick Reply: C4 Horrible Problem