Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

C4 Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Default C4 Shock Replacement

My 92 has 85k miles with the FX3 system original shocks. Since I'm not a high performance driver,I don't use theselective ride adjustment. So I'm thinking I'd like to replace the shocks with a non FX3 (less costly) type but don't want a harsh ride.My question is which brand & model will actually fit and not beat me up with a harsh ride?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Default RE: C4 Shock Replacement

I would go with Bilsteins.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 PM

Ditto. Got em now. Nice ride.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 AM

I have KYBs on my car and it rides and handles great. Good price too.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 AM

Ordered KYB's myself. Have yet to get them installed. Will let you know whatI think of them after installation.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 PM

I installed my shocks myself and to be honest it was about an hour of work. Was very very simple and a huge pay off!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:49 AM

Hey red90 vettesc, what was the proceedure on replacing your shocks? Anything special or important I should know. I hate to admit it but I have never replaced shocks before.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:43 PM

Believe or not I was able to change the front shocks with car setting on the ground and the wheels still on. The front are very very simple. Two bolts on the bottome and one on top. KYB will supply all the new bushings for the top mounts. As for the back shocks, jack the car up and put on stands. Take a floor jack and jack up the suspension on the side you are working on a couple of inches. The bottom mount bolt is very tight. You might want to put penetrating oil on it the day before you work. It might take a breaker bar to start it off. The top mount are two bolts. They are much easier. Unbolt them and the mount will come out with the shock. Take the unit and unbolt the upper mount and use it in the new shock with the supplied busing and rebuild it. Reinstall and tight the upper bolts all the way. Jack the suspension to close to normal ride height and tighten the bottom bolt, this will have it set up correctly. My car rode pretty stiff for couple hundred miles until the shocks broke in a bit, and now it rides firm but smooth and is very responsive. They were miles better than the wore out 16 year old Bilsteins. Have fun, it is a simple and rewarding project for your car!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:48 PM

As an after thought it is also a great time to clean up the beautiful artwork of aluminum suspension while you are doing this. I know these cars guts date back to the early 80's but man that suspension is incredible when it is clean, no other car looks like it. BTW, you will have to remove the rear wheels and it might go smoother if you remove the fronts and carefully jack up the suspension a bit when reinstalling the front shocks. Be careful, the suspension is heavily loaded when compressed. Take your time and enjoy.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:15 AM

Thanks for taking the time to run throughyour shock R+R. I really appreciate the advise. I plan on replacing mine tomorrow. Sounds like a fun project. I'll let you know how they ride when I get done.

Quick Reply: C4 Shock Replacement