Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   can i reused my block? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/can-i-reused-my-block-1484/)

raisinbran 03-21-2006 04:57 AM

can i reused my block?

so i have decided to start planning for a 383. i have an 86 with about 67,000 easy miles on it. Is it safe to say i can reuse this block or should i look into 383 shortblocks?

kchotboat 03-21-2006 11:21 AM

RE: can i reused my block?

You should be able to reuse the block the machine shop will check it out when you get it bored. If you are going to use a eagle crank check it real close.

corvette king 03-22-2006 12:36 AM

no problem,that block is good,the older the better,keep it.take to the machine shop and have them mike the cylenders and check line bore,and deck hight,then get some trick flow heads,and your stroker kit bring down to your machine shop for them to do it,remember this each cylender has to be notched out at the bottom for thr rod to clear .i have built a few 383's they make good torque.and top end.good luck....oh and if you bought the motor and did not hear it run have the block magnuflexed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/FDE83F3DB64141938F9412C3499FCF26.jpg[/IMG]

raisinbran 03-22-2006 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: corvette king

,and your stroker kit bring down to your machine shop for them to do it,
I've heard many people say that. But i would like to build as much of the engine myself as possible 1. to save money and 2. because nothing compares to the feeling of satisfaction after you finish building something. I have good mechanical skills, but no experience with the bottom end of an engine. How parts do u think a machine shop should handle installing??

mech259 03-22-2006 02:35 AM

King is right, you will have to have the block notched for rod clearance with a stroker kit. Also, is your block a four bolt main? 2 bolt will work, but 4 bolt holds up better under higher horsepower and increased load.

corvette king 03-22-2006 04:47 PM

WELL, THE MOST INPORTANT PART OF YOUR MOTOR, IS THE BOTTOM END,AND WHEN IT COMES TO STROKEING A MOTOR ,U BETTER NO WHAT U ARE DOING, WHAT U SHOULD DO IS HAVE YOUR MACHINE SHOP DO THE LOWER END,THATS JUST THE CRANK,ROD,PISTONS,RINGS,BERINGS,....THEN U CAN DO THE REST, .......REMEMBER THIS IF U PLAN ON BUILDING IT YOUR SELF AND RUNNING NOS YOU BETTER BUILD THR MOTOR LOOSE,AND HAVE TO CHECK WHAT GAP TO GAP THE RINGS ON THE PISTONS,U CHECK WITH THE BUISNESS U BOUGHT THE PISTONS FROM, AND IF U HAVE THE MACHINE SHOP DO IT LET THEM NO WHAT U PLAN ON DOING WITH THE ENGINE, NOS,,,SUPERCHARGER,,,,TURBO,,,ECT

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/0B2CC09870264EA7855916DECE7ACE57.jpg[/IMG]