Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

CD Player Repair

Old 10-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Default CD Player Repair

Hi,
We have a 1994 Coupe, black, beautiful, great car. The Cd Player won't accept the disc. Is there an optical eye I can get to to clean, or am I doomed to pull the player and send it for repair? We would appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Rich and Pam

Old 10-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Default RE: CD Player Repair

Hi,

It sounds like I am in the same boat you are. At first, my 93 Corvette wouldn't take the disc. After a while, it took the disc but wouldn't play it. Then I tried a cd cleaner and it didn't help. Finally, I bought a can of pressurized air like you use on a keyboard and tried it. Nothing changed. It will take the disc but says "Err" and pops it back out or sometimes it keeps it and makes a popping noise. If anyone has any suggestions I'm sure Rich, Pam, and I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Andy

Old 10-28-2005, 07:47 PM

same problem with my 93, but i totaled it so i dont have to worry about that, and the new one works.

I would say repair shop, because i tried to fix mine and nothing worked.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:23 PM

Same problem in my 96. It accepts the disc, waits a second then displays "ERR" on the screen and spits the disc out. Tried lens cleaners and pressurized air but to no avail. I may just break down and send it in..

Anyone with a service recommendation in the central Texas area? Dr. Don's?

Old 10-29-2005, 01:21 PM

I would not send it out for repair. Most likely the repair cost would be just as much as going out and buying a new better cd player anyway. I am a fan of Clarion and Alpine.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:47 PM

I hear you on the cost of replacement vs. cost of repair, but as I understand it, these Bose systems would require a complete overhaul. Are there any good resource online about what I can expect to replace if I go through with the overhaul?

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:02 PM

What do you meana complete overhaul? Should just be able to slap a new cd player in and call it a day as far as I know.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:36 AM

Hi,

As I mentioned earlier, I am having trouble with my cd player as well. I have thought about replacing it, but I really want to keep it as stock as I can. I could search for someone who is selling one like it but that would be more trouble than it would be worth. I mean, I just really don't want to modify the car too much if I can help it. Does anyone out there have any tips to fix the cd player, any books I could check out, or anything?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 11-05-2005, 01:15 PM

why, the cd player skips all the time because the car ride is bumpy. just listen to the radio, thats what i do lol

Old 11-20-2005, 08:59 PM

I have the exact same problem in my '95. I was told that because the speakers are amplified at the speaker that you just can't slap another head unit in. Have I been misinformed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD Player Repair