Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Check this out! Need some Info!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Default Check this out! Need some Info!

Just wanted some opinions on this set up compared to stock. I have an 85 l98 all stock. I was thinking of going with this setup and some new headers to try and get some more power. I don't know that much about it so I figured I would get some expert opinions from you guys.
The second one seems a little pricey after talking with the guy on the phone. Thanks for the help!

Intake
Intake 2

Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Default RE: Check this out! Need some Info!

the first one is your stock intake, plus a 52mm TB. There wasnt even any porting minus the port matching. you will not see any gains for that system. Not even worth the shipping. looks pretty though

as for the second one, at $200, thats not bad, if you're looking for a modified TPI setup. All new you would probably spend over $1000 so if thats what you want, id say thats a steal.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM

The second one the guy has the reserve set at $1000. Sounds a little steep to me.here is another one. Intake 3

Old 11-04-2006, 06:20 AM

that system is not bad. i guess you have to ask yourself the question what do you really want? yes this system is better than stock, and yes it will give you soome power. But it definately not the best you can do, and if you decide you want more power later on, then you will have to chose a new intake. But i would say the price is not bad for what the seller is offering.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:22 PM

Before you do anything lets make a plan on here. I did on another forum before a moderator banned me for making a plan(long story). What do you want in the end. You need a set horsepower limit. Me perosnally I am aiming for 450-500 so I am upgradding each little segment at a time. First off you have a 85. You have the L-98 motor. Its a good motor for low end torque. Now I would suggest leaving your motor stock at the moment and lets start from the basics. Exaust. Its crappy. Killing your power. You can gain up too 20 horsepower back. Gut your catalytic converters and convert to TRUE dual with muffler eliminators OR a high perfomance muffler such as flowmaster, borsa, ect. Second move to the rearend. I would suggest getting a DANA 44 with 3.73 gears. Next have your transmission rebuilt to WITHSTAND your power demands. Do you have a auto or manual?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 PM

My car is an automatic. I am not really looking for any big horsepower gains just wanting a liitle more seat of the pants power. I am planning on doing headers and true duals at the same time I put the intake on. Mainly just looking for some decent power with a good sound and a little chrome under the hood. I think I am buying intake #2 from my first post in this thread. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 PM

Corsas mufflers sounds nice. Suppose with headers, true dual, intake youd be up to 350Wish I was there right now. Not for a while oh well....

Old 11-07-2006, 06:02 PM

yea that second intake looks pretty sweet. but you may not get the full effects of the intake without modifying the stock exhaust. 1.6 rockers would be awesome too.

one thing to think about. since you have the cold start injector (or aka 9th injector), you may ask the seller if you can still put your cold start injector on this intake. otherwise you can get a tune and they can program the ECM to help compensate for not having it.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Whats a cold start injector?

Old 11-08-2006, 02:27 AM

if you have an early l98, there;s a little part sitting in between the two sets of runners on the driver's side. on startup, the ECM pulses the injectors for the same intervals regardless the temp of the engine. when your engine is cold, startups take longer. while cranking, the ECM will pulse that injector to put more fuel in the system to help with starting, and the time the injector is open goes down as the coolant temp goes up. during normal running or warm starts the injector is not used. on later models, the ECM just pulses the injectors longer on start up, basically serving the same purpose as the cold start injector.

Quick Reply: Check this out! Need some Info!