Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Crack in roof pannel

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Default Crack in roof pannel

Hey guys! I was driving to work the other day and realized that my glass roof pannel has a single about 5in crack running down the center! Its coming out of the seal. I dont know how it happend but I was wondering if anyone has had the glass replaced on there cars? I really dont want to have to buy a whole new top! I live in the bay area around San Francisco and If anyone else has had the same problem and has gotten it fix I would really appreciate it if you could tell me that place you had it done! Thanks guys!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 PM
cwb
Default RE: Crack in roof pannel

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: oldtvman

I have the dark blue acrylic top on my c4. It has two cracks in the front. I know that Eckers want about $1200 for a new top. Has anyone had any luck repairing these guys. It seems to me if you used resin and color die you should be able to fill the cracks, sand it and then buff if out.

Anybody every repaired their t top?
[/blockquote]

Cyanoacrylate, and fiberglass powder, from sanding.

Get some wet or dry sandpaper (it doesn't break up into your powder), sand some fiberglass onto a clean surface, work it well into your carefully flared crack from the outside, apply the cyanoacrylate. Repeat for the interior, making sure to get the powder all the way into the crack, to meet the exterior-applied powder.

Buff and or clear coat. It can be done well enough to not be seen at all; it depends on purity of the powder, and saturation by the cyanoacrylate.

EDIT: cyanoacrylate is superglue.Similar compoundto your acrylic top.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Default RE: Crack in roof pannel

My glass roof started out the same way with a 5 inch crack in the front part, a few days later the lense almost split in half. I turnes it in on my insurance and got a brand new GM rood for free. SC has a insurance rule that any glass breakage is replaced with no deductable. Was a sweet deal for me, check with your insurance!!!