Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

EGR

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Default EGR

Hi, i have a 96 vette and the codes on the check engine light say the EGR valve is bad, does anyone know where to find the part number for this? we have an EGR valve off of a 98 Trans am and wanted to know if the part number would match.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Default RE: EGR

They don't cost very much at all. I'd just go to local favorite parts store and get new one
for correct application. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: RudeDog

They don't cost very much at all. I'd just go to local favorite parts store and get new one
for correct application. Good luck.
And to add to that, just because your getting a code for EGR doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is. It just means that a system parameter has been exceeding for that module.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. The reason i'm asking this is because my inspection is up this month, and the service engine light has been on for supposedly the same problem since last summer when i had my mufflers done.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

96 model has a linear EGR with motors to open 2 or 3 pintels inside and is contolled by ECM. Those EGR's tend to be pretty expensive from $100.00 to $200.00. If it set a code for EGR, the vavle has has posistion sensors built into it to determine where the pintels are. They are commanded open and closed by ECM. Probably one of the motors have quit functioning.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:39 PM

Thanks, I probably won't be able to remember any of that though It might be easier just to drive to your place when I get back to SFA, only about an hour drive. But thanks I'll see what i can do with that.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:12 AM

A malfunctioning EGR valve could also damage your engine if not repaired right away.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 AM
cwb

Vacuum leak on a TPI can trip up EGR code. LT1, 4, 5, are 'port fuel' injection also, so vacuum leak on these could also trigger EGR code.

Do you have loping idle?

@bomb... Welcome to the boards there!

How does failed EGR damage engine? If combustion temps top out, the timing control retards. And if it warms up any more, the fan comes on. What kinda' damage do you get?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:31 PM

So you're saying it might not clear the engine light by replacing the valve?

It doesn't idle any differently than it has in the past. And I don't think a faulty EGR valve can hurt the engine...My brother told me the valve wont hurt anything...he's had his egr valve removed for a long time now on his trans am and his engine is fine.

(stupid question probably here) how do I fix a vacuum leak?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: smithj4

So you're saying it might not clear the engine light by replacing the valve?
[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif](been waitin' to use that smiley)

(stupid question probably here) how do I fix a vacuum leak?
If you have a vacuum leak, which again, can cause the loping idle, then in order to find the leak, you have to crank up the idle to around 1200rpm, so you get a steady idle (unless it's already steady).

Then use a piece of hose to your ear, and with the other end, move it around the component joints - anywhere there's a gasket - even the injectors. Listen for a hiss.

Another way is with a propane hand-held. Crank up the idle, open the propane valve, and feed the propane around the component joints. If you get a idle surge, you got the leak.

EDIT: I just checked that EGR link.

Two paragraphs about environmental/health concerns[sm=icon_blah.gif], and one line saying damage can result to your engine.

HOW???[sm=lame.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=smiley21.gif][sm=sleeping.gif]

Quick Reply: EGR