Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

extra speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default extra speakers

Hi all First I would like to say "What a great site". Then just a question about adding normal speakers to a bose system. question is, can it be done and if so how? can I jump off the indevidual speakers or do I have to run seperate wires from the back of the stereo? I guess Im looking for a way to utilize the amps on the stock speakers instead of installing an extra amp. Thanks

Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Default RE: extra speakers

First of all, Welcome Aboard! Now, to address your question: I was told that the only way to get around using the Bose "system" is to run new wires. This is due to the fact that each of the Bose speakers has it's own individual built-in amplifier. I installed a Sony Explode system, deck and speakers. Sounds fantastic in a Vette. Not just my opinion, many have told me likewise.

Audio shops wanted $1,500 - $2,500 to redo my baby. I did it myself with parts from Walmart for around $315. It took a weekend and a few bloody knuckles[:@] but it was well worth it. Instead of gutting the old wires I simply snipped them and left them. Most were very well hidden and in extremely bad condition anyways.

Let me know if you need any help with your project. I might at least be able to tell you what not to do

dlester@wi.rr.com

Keep the wave alive!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:49 PM

I will take a look at my wireing for you ..when I bought the car it had an alpine system in it...Bbut I still have the Bose ..and bose speakers...I have replaced the head unit with one off ebay ..with no problems...I will see what they di to the Bose speaker wireing ...my unot sounds great !

Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 AM

if i understand your question right, you cannot add "normal" speakers to the bose system, using the bose amps. first of all, they are 4" speakers, and you dont want that. second and more importantly, the amps put out a 1ohm signal, where most speakers want 4ohm (or i may have it backwards). just buy a new amp for your normal speakers, it will sound much better anyways, and those bose amps tend to fail.

now despite what all the audio shops tell you, there are ways to use the wiring, or whatever bose components you want with aftermarket setups. if you look on any bose speaker, there are 4 wires going into it. 2 are power wires, and 2 are the + and - wires coming from the radio. you can buy the gm wiring adapter to fit your head unit, follow the instructions, and with some more steps that ive left out, you can have a perfectly working system. Let me know if you have any specific questions. It was a pain in the *** for me to figure out, but maybe i can make it easier for others.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys for the quick reply's. I have changed the head unit to a kenwood(marine grade) unit. It works great with the Bose speakers but they cut out if I turn it up past 8 or 9, the volume dials up to 30 I think on this unit but the speakers can't take it. Apperantly the Bose speakers can't handle the newer stereos. I realy would like to keep the stock speakers but spread some of the extra wattage out with some extra speakers.....if I can. If not I guess I will just have to put all new speakers. I'm not up on all the new technical stuff, I'm just used to the old fasioned stereo set ups.Again thanks for the info. Cheers, Geo