Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Failure to crank

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Default Failure to crank

Hey all, just bought my first vette at age 53, an 87 yellow convertable w/white top, only has 30,000 mi and could not resist. Anyway the other morning went out to start it and when I turned the key all lights came on but it didn't crank, no clicking or anything. That night when I got home from work went out to try again and it started right up. Its never done it since and I know taking something to the shop that is working is usually is not a successful venture. Talked to someone about this and they said that it may be the security system, that if it dosen't since the right voltage in the key will not start and will reset itself in 15 minutes, does this sound reasonable? Don't want to get stranded but don't know if any diagonistic's will reveal anything wrong since it is now working. Any input would be appreciated.

Dave

Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Default RE: Failure to crank

Your problem sounds like the problem I had when my security system started acting up a few years ago. We didn't check any codes (so I can't say if they would be set or not), but we spent $25 ish on a security system override that we installed ourselves. Worked like a charm for over 5 years. I would definately recommend one if you feel comfortable doing a little work yourself. It entails taking the driver's side hush panel off (a few screws), and then unplugging a wire from the wiring harness and plugging the override in.

Both Ecklers and Mid-America sell them (search for vats override) and it is a cheap, easy fix if that is the problem, and not a lot of money if it's not!!

Old 08-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Failure to crank

It's not a voltage thing, if yours has the PASS key system, the one with the pellet in the key, it is a resistor at a specified resistance that is read by the PASS key system. Have lots of trouble with the reader built into the key tumbler getting dirty, oxidized and not reading correct resistance, so the system won't trip the starter relay. Key never goes bad. If you want to override the system, you can measure the resistance across the key, buy a resistor, plug it in the connector down the steering column and, tada, it's seeing the correct resistance all the time.[8D]