Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

First time owner of a 1985 daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Default First time owner of a 1985 daily driver

I just bought my first Corvette last weekend. I drove 4 hours to purchase it with only a few pictures and information from the owner but boy was I not disappointed. I immediately fell in love.
The body is in pefect condition and there is virtually nothing wrong with the interior. I do need to pick up a few things as the horn doesn't work, passenger headlight is dim and highbeam doesn't work, and the trunk lifters are shot. The car only has 60,000 miles on it which is good, but I'm sure as I begin driving the car everyday there will be things that I need to do.
I plan on owning this car for a very long time. I'd like to slowly begin to make some performance modifications and perhaps some visual mods as well. However I do not want to do anything to this car that would negatively impact it's value, present or future. I would like to know if anyone could suggest some basic modifications to improve performance, fuel economy, drivability, or effeciency. Everything is stock except the air conditioning system, it was upgraded to today's freon type.

Thanks!

-Dan

Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Default RE: First time owner of a 1985 daily driver

A good rule of thumb is, if it can't be undone, don't do it. Cars are worth far more if they are all original then modded up, besides look at the car, its already beautiful.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:18 AM

Oh I totally agree... externally one of the only things I was looking at was a front spoiler with brake cooling ducts, goes more under the car than anything...
I'm mostly interested in performance upgrades, I heard a K&N air filer along with an open air box could give a 10-15 HP increase. I've also heard of people putting in a 160 Thermostat, aluminum radiators, dual cooling fax, installing vortex ram air, new power couplers, larger throttle body, etc.
There's a lot of stuff out there and I guess I'm just not sure where to start. For example, I would go ahead and purchase the K&N air filter and open air box, but is the vortex ram air better and does it negate the need for the open air box? What about cold air induction?
I'm hoping that someone who has been down this road before could point me in the right direction...

Old 06-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Dano,

I am pretty much in the same boat, I recently acquired my Uncle's 1985 w/72K on the odometer. Good shape but it's been sitting for three years so I need to replace just about everything.

One thing I've learned after dumping over 20K into a 1996 SS camaro, do it right the first time even if it costs more. Do some research and forums like these will be your best friend.

I am torn between staying original and modding the hell out of mine because I love the speed and I will ponder that for some time.

Anyhow, heres a few items you may consider:

K&N CAI
Taylor Pro 8mm plug wires
MSD Ignition w/coil
Hypertech Chip
AS&M 52mm TB
Headers, I had FLP Longtubes
Gears 3:73's or 4:10's depending on if you have a stick or not
Vigilante torque converter (if auto)
160 Thermostat
Exhuast of choice, I had FLP's running into a Borla settup

Those are just some fairly inexpensive reversible mods that will wake up your car. Suspension of just about any kind is a must for me (lower control arms, panhard rod, strut tower brace, and sway bars)

I wish you luck!

Mike

Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the info Mike!
I'm not sure what I'll be working on first, right now I'm just doing as much research as I can. Before anything though I'm going to have to work on replacing a lot of the old rubber and seals... o-rings and valve seals are probably going to be first. Even though the car has low miles it seems like a lot of the rubber is hardened because of it's age.
I have an after market exhaust on there, but I'm not sure what brand it is. I thinks it's just from the CC back, and I'd like to update the entire exhaust system.
Good luck with you new aquisition!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 PM

Hi. I just picked up a daily driver '85. Over 115k on it but it rides nice. Burning a little oil. The previous owner let it sit for a few months at a time without starting it. I need to have a compression check done. I assume I am probably looking at velve stems.?!?
Can someonbe tell me what the advantage is of a 160 thermostat. My temp varies as high as 220 but is usually around 195-198.
Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 PM

Hi Skybird!
When you say it's burning a little oil, when does this occur? For me it was only during startup. I think while it was sitting oil would slowly drip down the valve stem and into the cylinder. Once that burned off there was no burning of oil while driving. Yeah, I would get a compression check done to get some more answers.
I'm no expert by any means, but some consider 220 much too hot for the engine to be running at. Others disagree and say that 220 is fine. 195-198 certainly sounds normal to me, that's what I run at usually with about half the miles on my engine as yours. Personally, from what I have gathered I would not waste money on a 160 thermostat. It only makes the fan kick on earlier and supposedly keep the engine a bit cooler, which may not even be necessary.
Check some of my other posts... I have my car in the shop right now getting an '88 4+3 transmission put in it becausemy 4+3 went. There is definately a way NOT to drive your car with this transmission. The 84 and 85 have a flaw in the overdrive unit which causes them to burn out. I would take it in to a good Corvette mechanic and have them check it out for any maint. that it may need. Apparently you DO NOT want to turn the overdrive unit on when driving UNLESS you are in 4th gear. Also, DO NOT turn it off unless you are stopped, or going very slowly with the clutch pressed in. If you drive it any way other than that you are putting additional wear on the transmission and you're going to wind up needing to replace it much sooner. One of the first things that starts to happen is you may have trouble getting it into reverse or in first gear, but by pumping the clutch in and out you can finally get it in gear. When they start to go you may have transmission fluid flowing from the overdrive unit into the transmission, or gear oil getting into the overdrive unit. Either one is very bad.
All this doesn't apply if you don't have the 4+3 though!
I had a complete bumper to bumper inspection on mine and found out several things you may want to look for. I'd recommend having yours inspected as well if you have the money. If you have any questions let me know, I'd be more than happy to pass along what I've learned about mine!
Good luck and post some pictures of your ride if you haven't yet, I'm sure we'd all love to see it!

-=Dano=-

Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 AM

Don't remember if you said it was a coupe or convert. but in any case, you need to
treat the rubber around the top of windshield, sides of windows, back, everyplace there is
rubber that can be deteriorated by heat, dryness, and age. I use STP rubber/vinyl treatment.

Also keep the leather lubricated. I like McGuires wipes. Keeps leather shiny and retards
drying out and cracking.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Dano,

Thanks for the info. I just got it out of the shop for a shifting problem I thought I heard and to change the differential fluid. Turns out I need a pinion seal. The mechanic told me to do the seal he needs to drop the muffler. Oh well, I need a specialty shop because this guy doesn't work on differentials.

BTW....my 85 is a coup(no convertibles made in 85) with a converta-kit on the back. Don't know where it came from. Can't find it anywhere. It's black (#2 Color) with an automatic tranny. I will get some pictures up when I can take one I like.

SkyBird

Old 08-28-2008, 08:52 PM

An '85 with 60K on it?!?!! KEEP IT!!! Do what you will,but it's treasure....question is,how far are you willing to go modifying it?? The L-98 has always been one heck of a torque monster.....now,back then,it's still an all-iron engine,but so what?? Quite a few things you can do to make more power...intake runners,injectors,ignition,you name it.Anyway,congrats on your car!! Nothing like a Vette!! Keep us posted,will ya?? BTW,if you're really planning on making it better,remember to upgrade your brakes first!!! No car will ever be good if it won't stop better than it goes....let's all be safe out there,ok???

Quick Reply: First time owner of a 1985 daily driver