Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Fixing to buy a 90

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Default Fixing to buy a 90

Hi all I'm a newbie to this forum so bare with me. I'm looking a buying a 1990 coupe and was wonderning if I was getting a good deal so here we go. It's a 90 with 189000 miles, one owner. Car has been parked and not started since last fall. paint job needs to at least buffing out maybe even repainting. Seals around doors and top probably need replacing. One head light does not pop up. Needs new exhaust in the rear. Needs a couple of emblems. He said the a/c doesnt work but not shur whats exactly wrong with that. Needs new tires and a new battery. I think thats about it. He's asking $4,000. how does this sound or what should I offer him. Also if I get it since it hasnt been statred for a year should I do something special to the engine before I crank her up? I would appreciate any responses. Thanks Jim

Old 10-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fixing to buy a 90

Oh man, if you're like me, there's a jewel. Look at all the stuff you get to re-do, how YOOU like it.
3500 as is, if it will just start, not sit and run. If it will sit and run give 'im 3800.
Clean out fuel system, change the oil, check coolant, and brake fluid. New batt., filters, clean or replace plugs, and that should get ya started!

Oh,....Ya..!
Welcome to C.F.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:30 AM

Considering if you dismantled thw car and sold the parts, you'd get at least $15,000. Yeah, almost any Corvette that runs is worth $3800. I looked at a 1989 Convertible at a dealership a month or so ago that wasn't worth $2500, but then again, I'm picky.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

I paid 4500 for the "Starship". Suspension, paint, interior, tires, and rims were shot. But it's a '80 L82 and that's exactly the foundation I wanted to use, to build the "Starship".
All new suspension, rearend, tires and rims. 454 being built now, and have a 3sp w/od. to go in.
We all get the car we either want or want to build.
So it really comes down to you.......!

Old 10-13-2006, 05:14 AM

i would not buy it before knowing what the engine is like. these engines will go 190k no problem, but you never know. start it up first...i think it will be fine with the old oil for a short spin. hopefully it doesnt have a lot of 1yr old gas in it. check for leaks, noises, good shifts in the tranny, check all functions of the car i.e. all power options work, seats, mirrors, a/c blower, dig. dash. ideally a compression check would be good too. these cars are a lot of fun, but are not cheap to fix. even if you can do the work yourself, the parts are expensive, sometimes hard to find. know what you may be getting into, and we can give you a run down on how much it will take to fix.

on the other hand...a vette is a vette. my 86 in need of new paint and rubber pieces frequently gets complements and looks, and is a blast to drive!! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-14-2006, 05:07 PM

If you buy it, you will fall in love! Yes, they are expensive to fix. However, the more you put into her the more she will become part of you. I am absolutely in love with my '87 work-in-progress. I have invested quite a bit of coinage into her. But that makes my attachment that much stronger.

BTW: Welcome aboard

Keep the wave alive[8D]

Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 PM

Thanks for all the positve feedback. Now all I need to do is close the transaction with the seller.

Hope to see a bunch of this forum.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Oh man, it's always cool to see someone else about to encounter the Corvette fever!! Once bitten, you're in for life, my friend. Sounds like it could be an awesome platform to start from. If you do get her, post some pictures!! Welcome to the forums!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:08 PM

Hey firemanjim, did you buy the 90 vette? I have a 90 Roadster. BTW where are you a fireman? I'm on the job here in Massachusetts.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:08 AM

Hey Jake. I didnt buy it yet. I just got back from Maui yesterday. The owner told me the battery was dead so I put a battery in 2 weeks ago and it wouldnt start. No crank at all but all the lights and everything else worked so I did some reading and figured it was the VATS but I was going out of town the next day and didnt have time to jump it. So I get back from Maui now and I go buy a resistor to matck my key resistor but before I tear into that I try to start it again( now that the key has been riding in my pocket for a couple of days and the chip on it is really clean now) and wala it cranked right up. Started great no smoke idle fine (for 2 yr old gas) tires had some major flat spots but I expected that they need replacing anyway. Took it to my shop washed it to see what kind of shape the paint was in pretty sure it can be buffed back pretty good. needs a good interior cleaning and seat covers oh and window gaskets but I also knew that.

Well I'll give him a sob story tommorrow how it took me hours to get it started, and then we'll talk some more on the price.

I'll let ya'll know how things turn out.

BTW I'm located in Tx

Quick Reply: Fixing to buy a 90