Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Free/cheap mods....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Default Free/cheap mods....

Free/cheap mods: desreen maf, K&N filter, cut lid, port plenum, redline injector cleaner, premium gas, put ice packs on your intake before a race to cool off the air, 160 thermostat, basically besides that it doesnt work, gut catalytic converters, high performance mufflers or muffler eliminators, true dual.......Besides these mods all ther est of the cheap crap is garbage. Just a heads up for the newbies.I fell for alot of crap and still do.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Default RE: Free/cheap mods....

I agree with all those mods entirely. This is EXACTLY what I did to my L98, 87 Vette three years ago, and what a difference in performance. The only small difference is that I took the converters right off. I don't feel too bad for that, because when I see these diesel cars, buses, etc go by me with that black crap coming out the tailpipe, and I keep my engine running pristine, I have no guilty conscience.

mypetu39

Old 11-04-2006, 11:35 AM

I know it doesnt make that big of a difference but its not going to hurt anything. Every bit helps. The more air you can pack in the better. Also FYI our 350s stock or barley modded supposedly dont do well with bigger throttle bodies. Ours right now is 48 mm, I would suggest upgrading to a 52 for a slightly modded or a bit more would be a 58 mm. I am investing in a 52 hopefully soon. It gives a seat of the pants feeling. No horsepower but def. improves acceleration IMO. The best thing though when you get right to it is a SIMPLE TUNE UP. I mean you can have your car twin turbod BUT if you have ****ty spark plugs, burned wires, and gunky oil. It does nothign but HURT your car. I mean come on, put in some 5w-30 NAME BRAND oil, some AC delco plugs and wires. Clean your air filter or replace it. Rotate your tires, and just keep an eye on things and your car is alraeady more powerful. Just do the simple stuff and it will save you many headaches down the road. Also clean your engine bay once in a while. All that gunk, grease, road grime, oil does not help your car. It burns, stains, causes smell and does hold heat in. Another FREE MOD....is to take a razor blade and cut off the cover on top of the hood that is made of rubber. LEAVE THE PIECE ABOVE THE DISTIBUROR TO KEEP WATER OFF OF IT. The rest is basically useless to me, it DOES let out some heat, which is better than nothing. JMO. Im no mechanic but I just wanted to pass on some informatioin to you guys and possibly help out some newbs. I sure am glad people helped me out along the way or I would be hopeless. I just wanted to say THANKS GUYS AND THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST FORUM EVER!!!. You guys are some of the nicest people ive met on the forums and ive been on about 5 different ones and been banned, yelled at, tricked, and called names. Again thanks guys. Cheers.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:46 PM

Ain't no haters here, bro! Glad to hear that you're back in business again, and rollin' with your Vette!!