Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

fuel delivery

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Default fuel delivery

Hi, Ive got an 87 Corvette and I have run into a problem. here is the low down, one day driving the car it just seem to cutt-off. I got it home and seemed like a fuel pump problem s I took out the fuel pump and saw that the connector on the top of the pump was, well, melted along with the fuse. So i goto the local autozone and get a new one. About one week later Driving i again it cu's off again. Pull over and turn the key and after a couple of times it starts up. Now I go back and forth with this problem for a little over a day and finally get a no start. Take the fuel pmp out and had the same problem. So I go and get another, lifetime replacement, and put it in. Now its good for a few hours and now has gone back to do the same thing, but this time there is a check engine light. The light has come on and then cleared itself and come back on. I havent had a diagnostic on it yet but was hoping maybe sombody had run into this before. The only thing I can really guess was something is shorting out. That dosent really explain why the engine code has come up but that could be a pressure issue, I suppose. Well thanks a lot guys!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Default RE: fuel delivery

I would maybe check the relay connectors located on the left side of the firewall near the master cylinder. When i was trying to figure out why my 85 wouldnt start i noticed that the wiring harness that plugs into the relay had bare wire exposed. It is possible that the wires touch causing the fuse to blow.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the 1st mistake is going to Autozone. Their fuel pumps are junk. If you know anything about electric motors, all motors have a commentator. That is what the brushes ride on. They are are on the armature and supply voltage to the coils to create the magnetic field required to make the armature spin. Well, to make a long story short, a good quality fuel pump will have 6 to 8 commentators which the cheap Autozone has 4. This creates a less efficient pump causing more current draw. Having a burned connector is a result of too much current being pulled through the connector which only designed for a total circuit load of under 20 amps. You need to check all connections, including ground wire for tightness and cleanliness, repair or replace all burnt connections. This is a place to start. Oh, and be sure and use a good quality pump. I would reccomend an A/C Delco pump. Good Luck [8D]

Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 AM

NAPA sells fuel pumps with the sock for 85.00 Do you think there fuel pumps are good? Also ecklers has a high performance pump for 120.00 I wouldnt mind getting that when mine goes out....Just a thought...