Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
cwb
Default RE: fuel injectors

ORIGINAL: fun4rx

yes, my idle is pretty steady, if I sit at a light for a long while it sometimes
drops from 8 to 7 but it doesnt lope.
Mech was right about the listen for hiss test. I forgot about that one.

And if your idle holds steady, you're in good shape. What do you think mech, about his injectors' ohms variations???

Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 AM

Anybody got any recomendations pro or con on fuel line additive injector cleaners?

Didn't really know if they are good preventative maintainance only or possibly a quick fix to
a potential problem with dirty injectors?

Opinions please....

Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 AM

Hi rudedog, the injector cleaners you buy at the parts store are only good for maintenance, if that. If you want them cleaned good take it to a professional and get it done right, they have the good stuff.

On another note, I read somewhere, and I can't remember where, that some of those injector cleaners you buy at the parts store can foul the spark plugs.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 AM

According to Gordon Killebrew, he said not to use injector cleaners,the
only thing to keep injectors in shape is the drive your car and keep
gas running thru them, and storing your car is hard on the injectors,but
in the north where you cant drive year round then start your car and pull
the fuse that runs the fuel pump and let the car think it is out of gas, this
will dry the injector and help it last longer.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Ric

Hi all I to have heard not to use fuel injector cleaner I have read it is hard on the 02 sensors. sense we are talking about fuel injectors mineohm OKbut I am getting hyd lock in the cylinders and alsofuel Gage bleeds back onfuel press ck.I know every thing has pos and neg just your thoughts on pintale injectors verses disk injectors . I think I will replace mine and cant decide which way to go. I'm not looking for big hp the LT1 runs fine the way it is.What are your thoughts on injectors???
Thanks
Ric W

Old 10-09-2007, 05:00 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Ric

Hi all I to have heard not to use fuel injector cleaner I have read it is hard on the 02 sensors. sense we are talking about fuel injectors mineohm OKbut I am getting hyd lock in the cylinders and alsofuel Gage bleeds back onfuel press ck.I know every thing has pos and neg just your thoughts on pintale injectors verses disk injectors . I think I will replace mine and cant decide which way to go. I'm not looking for big hp the LT1 runs fine the way it is.What are your thoughts on injectors???
Thanks
Ric W
Hyd lock? If you're talkin' about what I think you are, you know you can pop a pushrod with that problem? Especially with high compression...

Do you have a leakin' injector?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Ric

HiCWB
I think I do have a leaking injector or more then one.I don't drive the vette much but the last time i drove it and it was hot from city driving . it didn't want to start after it was shut off for about twenty minutes. It acted like it was flooded and then started. Doing a fuel press check after the pump stopped (just with key to on position) about 2 seconds the press bled off. That is why i suspect hyd lock or leaking injectors.I have 80,000 mileswithoriginal injectors and thought I might as well change them all. Iwas thinking about disk style injectores. What do you think? Do you think sending them out to get them cleaned would help leaking injectores? I do think I'm leaning towards new ones.
thanks
Ric W

Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM

I thought hydraulic lock was when the combustion chamber filled with fuel, and locked the engine up. Water from a cracked head will do the same thing.

Mine did it once, I had to remove the spark plug toblow the fuel out

Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM

The fuelpump check valve, and the fuel pressure regulator, will also cause the pressure to bleed off quick too.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Ric

Thanks
Ric W
Hi Ric, here's some good info on the different types of injectors.

There are three basic valve designs used with variations on each: pintle, disk, and ball.

The pintle-type valve is the earliest design but still popular. The problems with the pintle design include increased chance of clogging in the small orifice area, slower response time because of heavier armatures used to lift the pintle, and reduced service life.

The ball-type injector uses a ball (actually half a sphere) to seal the metering orifice, rather than a pintle. This allows the use of a lighter armature and so response time is faster than for pintle types. There is also less wear for a longer service life. The orifice can be designed with multiple openings for a wider spray pattern plus more fuel can be delivered for a given drive time.

The disk-type injector eliminates the armature and the solenoid acts directly on the flat disk through the core of the injector body. The flat disk rests on a seat that has an orifice in it. This arrangement is even lighter than the ball-type for an even faster response time. This disk and seat design also results in less deposit build up at the orifice and longer service life.

Quick Reply: fuel injectors